Urgent....Need help with Sony PS-8750!!!!

jorjen12

I began the project of rewiring the tonearm on my PS-8750. According to the service manual(and most other tomearms I have seen with the same type of removable headshell), there should be a screw on the underside of the tonearm that holds the connector, w/locking collar in the front end of the tonearm tube. Well, mine has NO fastener of any kind. The tonearm obviously cannot be rewired without access to the back end of the pins, so this assembly has to be removed. Any suggestions, what the heck? They would not have press fit this assembly into the end of the tonearm, would they?

When you remove the headshell look at the end of the locking ring for same. You will see that there is a small slot at both the top and bottom. While I haven't pull out my tech info on the PS-8750 to comfirm, I think this is screwed into the TA tube, etc. Needs a pretty side and thin piece to turn this out. Only what I 'think', and not what I know. Remind me again early next week and I'll pull out the manuals and see if I can see more details. I doubt it, though. The manual is mostly electrical/electronics. And the mechancial linkages. But not much on the mechanical detail. Sorry, but can't do it until early then.

Hi YB-2,

The service manual clearly shows on page 21, a 1.7 x 1.5 screw just behind the collar on the underside of the tonearm tube, but mine does not have one.

I thought of the same thing you mentioned and tried to screw out the collar before I posted to no avail. Logic tells me they would not do it this way because screwing it out would severly twist the delicate tonearm wires inside the arm tube you would think.

Thanks for any help you can lend though, I appreciate it.

Well, now I am all dressed up and nowhere to go :D

Believe the part that screws out is simply a 'collar' that holds the separate connector in place and is not connected to same. Thus, it would rotate separately from the pins. But, am only guessing from a quick look.

Y B-2,

You were right. It twisted out. I used a hacksaw blade on edge to bridge the top and bottom slots and pushed on the rear of the collar while twisting with the hacksaw blade. It does come out as an assembly though, so you have to be careful of the wiring.

I am burning the wires in right now with a CD player and cable that I made attached to a spare headshell. We will see how it sounds tomorrow.

Daddy always told me it was better to lucky than good. :D

Glad it worked. Will be interested in your thinking on the results. Any chance to took a couple of JPegs you could post?

BTW - Does your PS-8750 run fine in Xtal Locked position? Neither unda maris' nor mine does. And we haven't bothered to fix. Yet. I'm in the throes of moving (3 moves = 1 fire, ugh...think I'm beginning to smell smoke. Oh, well.....wife owes me big-time now. :thmbsp: This is her idea. :yes: Maggie 3.6, maybe?). But going through my PS-8750 is the first thing on my agenda after I get my yagi up in the new place. A good fall project.

YB-2,

Man, I do have lots of pics of my 8750, but I did not take any of the rewire today. I was pretty consumed with the process to say the least.

My Xtal lock also does not work. Remember, I talked with you and Unda Maris about it on the forum? I tried the 100uf cap replacement and that did nothing. I am kind of in a holding pattern on the repair as well. It works just fine with Xtal lock off. But, when that is the only blemish on an otherwise pristine table, I would rather get it working. I do think it is going to be a tall order for us to correct this problem. As you know, alot of the parts on the Xtal lock board are probably not available. Especially if the problem lies in the Xtal itself :tears: .

If this is similar to the PS-X6 I used to have....

then I'd suggest that any and all wire-wrapped posts be soldered. These will have developed enough oxidation to potentially cause all sorts of little gremlins in these systems. Just a thought....

Cheers,

David

I know this is a really old thread but I was wondering if someone could give more info on getting the headshell mount out of this arm. I have tried twisting it out with a tool I made. I just cant get it to budge and its scary putting to much force on this carbon arm. I have it all taken apart and it would be a shame to not rewire at this point
0329171911.jpg

I know this is a really old thread but I was wondering if someone could give more info on getting the headshell mount out of this arm. I have tried twisting it out with a tool I made. I just cant get it to budge and its scary putting to much force on this carbon arm. I have it all taken apart and it would be a shame to not rewire at this point

There is a screw on the under side of the tone arm.

Removing it may release the headshell mount. :idea:

I know sm says that, but the guy above says no screw. I have been looking at this arm all day and I say no screw also. They made two versions of this arm the one on the 8750 is carbon and I believe the regular arm has the screw. I think its just an oversight in the sm.

Above they describe twisting it out but I have had no luck. I wonder if its glued or threaded maybe?

Here is what I have been trying. Does it look like what they describe in post 5? This is how I took it, but I have been cranking on it pretty hard with no luck.0329172132.jpg

Back
Top Bottom