USB DAC budget recommendations please!

Discussion in 'PCs & Music Servers' started by KentTeffeteller, Feb 9, 2018.

1. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Hi to all AK and the PC audio and server brain trust. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T410 i which is a great laptop, but needs a better DAC partner for music playback, the on board sound is not quite to taste. What is the best USB DAC I can buy for less than $100. I am interested in your thoughts, opinions, and perspectives. Many thanks to all here.

2. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Being sort of a Schiit head, I have to at least put the Modi in the hopper here for consideration. I have the original modi as well as the much more expensive modi multi bit and while the MB does have a certain depth that the original didn't, the regular modi is a very good sounding dac for the money. One thing about my original however that I didn't care for is the lack of its own power supply. I believe a good bit of RF can come across from the computer supply USB power. I would maybe get a powered USB hub to go with any USB powered dac. Better still get a self-powered USB made for audio that had filters particularly if it is warranted (some USB may be clean enough). Schiit makes the Wyrd which worked well with the original Modi.

3. PAGS

PAGS AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm happy with my SMSL Sanskrit 6. $108 on Amazon.

4. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

5. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just bought one of these based on this review:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/budget-dac-review-behringer-umc204hd.1658/

I'm in general a fan of the pro-audio type interfaces. I run an audient ID14 on my primary machine.

The various incarnations of the AudioQuest dragonfly are also quite nice and are pretty easy to find on the used market for cheap. I paid $50 for my Dragonfly Black from a Head-Fi'er.

6. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Thanks. A nice idea of where to begin.

7. gvl

gvl Well-Known Member