USB Line Level In Needed

Discussion in 'Digital Integration' started by KingBubba, Dec 18, 2017.

1. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff"

I have a project brought to me by a friend. He has 20 cassettes that he wants to be transferred onto a CD. I have a Pioneer CTF-950 so running the cassettes is not a problem. What is a problem is that my Thinkpads have no line level inputs, just a non stereo mic input. I am going to purchase a USB device off of eBay. I have never used on of these, but I going to give it a try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-External-Channel-5-1-S-PDIF-Optical-Sound-Card-Box-DAC-Audio-For-PC-Laptop/142518890419?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Has anyone ever used one of these devices before? I would like to hear opinions about this device if anyone has tried one. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017

Please register to disable this ad.

2. lini

lini just me...

If you'd like a known decent one, you can't really go wrong with the Behringer UCA202/222. And they also have a slightly different variant with switchable line/MM phono input, the UFO202.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

3. KingBubba

If this does not work out I'll look into the Behringer. I know I am not dealing with high fidelity with this project. It may even be mono for all I know.

4. palsapal

palsapal Active Member

Agree with Lini. The Behringer is proven & works out of the box - no driver installation. I find it invaluable.

Good luck with getting that Chinese box in a hurry. It would be good to have a review if you get one.

The USB connection on the Behringer is digital in/out, selected in your Windows sound settings, so you wouldn't need line in. Connect Pioneer to Behringer stereo line in then USB to Thinkpad. Assume Chinese box works in similar way.

5. Chip Chester

Chip Chester Super Member

There's a round white (or black) Geffen, switchable mic/line with headphone monitoring, that sounds fine when used with decent inputs. Input is via stereo 3.5mm instead of RCAs. It's about $40, so more than your referenced blue box. But also quite portable for future business use.

I'm not sure how someone can make and profitably sell an aluminum chassis with circuitry inside, a cable, and software on a CD for eight bucks. Including optical, and decoding, by the looks of it. But apparently they do...

Chip

6. lini

lini just me...

KB: Oh, I see - you've already ordered that one. I hadn't interpreted your initial post that way.

Well, most of these cheap, little USB audio interfaces are based on Cmedia USB audio codec chips like the CM6206(LX). If implemented decently, these thingies typically aren't that bad, so that I'd assume the quality to be sufficient for your purposes.

Chip: *lol* Well, the wonders of Chinese mass production... :) Anyway, there usually isn't that much circuitry inside anymore, as those little codecs chips already contain most of what's needed. So typically there's just a little quartz oscillator and a few passive parts (foremost elcaps, resistors) extra - plus all the jacks. So even branded versions (like for example the Logilink UA0099, just to name a random example from over here) usually still are pretty cheap.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Please register to disable this ad.

7. palsapal

palsapal Active Member

[Rant - on] It may well be time to re-name China as "Manufacturing - Global" & the rest of us can man the phones or look after the spreadsheets. Not sure who's going to buy all this stuff if nobody's earning. [Rant - off]

8. KingBubba

If there was a US made usb device like this, I would have bought it. Most of the stuff from American Companies are still from the far East. Anyway we would not get the spreadsheet job because the Indian have those already.

I finally got this item a good while back and tonight is test night. I am using my Thinkpad as source. The Thinkpad's sound card is decent, however, when I do anything else on the Thinkpad, like surfing the web, I get annoying noises and click when the mouse is moving.

I have been running my system test songs with this usb device and the output is clear and strong. This was only using the output. There is no unwanted noise being generated. My previous plugin USB sound card has a minimal hiss to it that is not present with this newer device. Later, I will attempt to record with this device on Audacity and see how that goes. For the price, I am satisfied so far.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018