Use Equalizer with Integrated Amp

rmccallen

I have a Technics SU-V3 Integrated Amp and am considering adding a Technics SH-8020 Equalizer to my system. Would I hook that up using one of my Tape Input/Outputs?

Any help would be appreciated.

That is correct. Or if the amp has pre out ,main in's that would be the preferable route to go.

Actually, the tape monitor loop is the preferred way to go.

Being a constant line level, which is highrer than the preamp out signal, it adds less noise to the signal.

Thanks, I did not know that. :thmbsp:

I have a question on this. Can you put the equalizer between the source and the integrated amp and "shape" the sound before it gets amplified? Or, is it best to "shape" the sound after amplification?

Yes, you can put an equalizer between the source and an integrated amp, pre amp or receiver. It's much more flexible and convenient to insert the equalizer in a tape monitor loop or EPL (external processor loop). It can then be used to equalize any source or the feed to a connected tape deck. It can easily be switched out of the circuit if desired.

Putting the equalizer in the tape monitor loop is not "after amplification". Placing it between the pre and power amps is about as close to "after amplification" as you can get. I agree with Markw about noise issues with this kind of connection.

I have a question on this. Can you put the equalizer between the source and the integrated amp and "shape" the sound before it gets amplified? Or, is it best to "shape" the sound after amplification?
This will only amplify that one source, not all of them.

But, it's essentially the same as putting it in the tape monitor loop since, aside from a dedicated phono input, no amplification has been done at that point anyway.

Don't try it with a mm/mc phono cartridge, though. That won't work well at all/

Thanks! That all makes sense. I like the idea of using the tape loop monitor. I can then choose whether to equalize or just run flat. I like to do both!

Some equalisers must be less noisey than others. I had a TEAC GE20 connected between the pre and main on my 9090 and it certainly added some background hiss and noise, so I connected to the tape loop monitor and it was fine.

I used to run a Pioneer SG-9 GE connected between the pre and main on my Yamaha A1020 and it was perfect.

I got out the GE9 the other day, cleaned it up, de-ox'd and, just to see how it would perform, connected it between the pre and main on the 9090, and it is perfectly quiet and does a great job.

So, is there a difference between GE units, where some are more quiet or better suited to run between the pre and main, as opposed to connecting to the tape loop monitor?

Some equalisers must be less noisey than others. I had a TEAC GE20 connected between the pre and main on my 9090 and it certainly added some background hiss and noise, so I connected to the tape loop monitor and it was fine.

Its all about sensitivity matching, most if not all domestic graphic EQs are designed to run in a tape loop.
Aux inputs and tape inputs on older gear is not actually line level but -10dbV or about 300mV, and sometimes its even less.

Line level is +4dbu.

So using a domestic EQ between a pre-amp/powe-ramp is a miss match in sensitivity. So what does this mean? Noise, because the EQ is more sensitive than the pre-amp, so even when the volume is down on the pre-amp the extra sensitivity of the EQ is amplifying the noise floor which is carried through the EQ and to the power-amp...
It really isn't the best way to do it....not to mention the EQ will run out of headroom a lot earlier than the pre-amp......

If you want to use an EQ between you pre-amp and power-amp, then a Pro type EQ like a Klark Teknik, XTA, Urei, BSS, DBX is the way to go for the best noise floor.

Thanks.

But why would the SG9 be so much quieter than the GE20? Would it be designed like those you mentioned?

Thanks.

But why would the SG9 be so much quieter than the GE20? Would it be designed like those you mentioned?

Well, in this case it could be that the design is just better than the GE20, the noise will show up more using it between the Pre and Power-amp because of the miss match of sensitivity.
Or the GE20 could need some attention as it gets older, it could be that it is not performing to spec any more....

Actually, the tape monitor loop is the preferred way to go.

Being a constant line level, which is highrer than the preamp out signal, it adds less noise to the signal.

Agreed. Some amplifiers specifically state in the operating instructions NOT to connect an equalizer using Pre-in and Pre-out. I have an old Heathkit AR1500A and a modern Marantz 30 and they suggest using tape loop.

The Technics SU-V3 lacks pre-out/main-in facilities so insertion there is not an option. If EQ is desired with a source connected at the secondary tape inputs, you'd need to use the tape dubbing control 2>1. (EQ connected at TAPE 1).

Back
Top Bottom