used equipment review

hifijohn

I know in this age of the internet that the magazine is dead, but I always thought a magazine geared towards used equipment was a good idea.It would be like any other hifi mag but everything in it would be used.considering how much used equipment hifi people buy every year.it might work.

It would be hard to get advertisers

you could get the restore a finish guys and ...simplegreen and mouser to advertise maybe =p and soldering tools people... not to mention pest control companies (in case you bring something else home besides old gear :scratch2:)

You could publish it online to keep costs down. Through Apple's NewsStand app or something. Get enough readers and the advertisers will come. You could ask other AKer's to guest post. Link to interesting UsedCityname or Epay sales that happened in the last quarter, etc.

Actually, come to think about it, AK itself could be a really cool online mag as well as the amazing forum it is... The content and connections are all here!
:scratch2:

Never happen. AK does enough. I do not think the major AK share holders would take on any more. I mean will we have an AK Fest this year? That is the big question.

For sure. I'm just riffing on the OPs theme. I'll search the threads about the AK Fest. I didn't know there was one.

all righty then - one approach is to look for archives of reviews of the equipment of interest when it was new. Depending on the era of interest, this might be easy: http://vintagevacuumaudio.com/magazines-1952-1962/

There was an online archive of the pioneering Vacuum Tube Valley magazine, which did do what the OP is looking for (i.e., modern assessments of classic vacuum tube hifi gear), among other things... but it appears to have been taken down. Copies of the PDFs are, doubtless, floating around out there in the cloud ;-)

Tone Publications does a section called "Old School", it's my favorite part of the mag ... They basically dig up an old classic and do a review on it. I think it's a great idea.

Several thoughts here....

For those looking to see the potential of restored used equipment, those descriptions and reviews in the magazines are a good source of information. Even just something pointing to that information would be useful. Useful along those lines would be a listing of the old audio magazines; I can think of only about seven. And then how would one get access to them?

Also a magazine giving loads of tips on restorations, as we do here may work out. Of course AK already provides a bevvy of experts and stories on an awful lot of that, but not everyone reads AK. Or even knows about the other online resources. So much of what I consider useful appears on AK; that's why I joined and support it.

I would love to see a real printed magazine featuring reviews audio/video consumer level gear from the 60s, 70s, 80s and the 90s. Also, with tips on how to restore gear, to include cosmetic repairs as well... Look at all the classic car related magazines. I really believe that a magazine geared to Baby Boomers and early Generation Xers would attract a following... It should also include reviews on music, videos/movies and stereo related pop culture "stuff" as well.

IMHO, "I" believe that most of us are now in our "peak" earning years with some extra money to spend on ourselves... The kids are out of the house, bills are paid down and many, to include myself, are retiring from jobs that still have pensions. Plus, most of those pensioners will most likely seek out other P/T employment to fund their hobbies... Like I'm planning to do.

To me, this demographic is a prime target for advertisers of related products to service, repair and replace gear with newer models. To include other comfort related products geared to individuals who are 40 and older as well. Honestly, if a magazine geared to this market showed real interests in restoring classic audio/video gear, I'm pretty sure that products and services would start to appear... I'm pretty sure if a small machining company could see a profit in offering "replacement" faceplates and/or knobs, they would move into it... Just like in the car restoration business, which is growing every single year. With that being said, why can't it be the same for classic audio/video gear, but on a smaller scale?? I'm sure that their are plenty of craftsmen that are either unemployed or under employed could make a decent living in rebuilding and doing cosmetic repairs. Also, this would be a good business opportunity for a retiree... I would love to see somebody who is capable to restoring damaged faceplates and silk screening... I would keep the busy for at least a year!

Plus, a magazine like this would spark the chances of having obsolete parts remanufactured again... Like rubber rollers, belts and possibly things like older laser pick-ups, but with updated improvements made to them.

I know many will think that this could ever fly, but if you really think about it, why not??

used equipment

There already is a used equipment review. It's called ebay.
It's the largest source of equipment and comments, good or bad, that I know of.

Paul

All used equipment was new at some point, and many pieces were reviewed in one audio magazine or other. Old magazine reviews are available from various sources, including copies on eBay, public libraries, and online at the Stereophile Magazine website. Owner reviews on AudioReview, is yet another source.

Last edited:
Used gear review.Would be absolutely worthless dribble. Considering no two pieces of like used gear is going to be the same.

Last edited:
Re-publishing the original reviews is the only way this can work IMO. Otherwise it would turn into an equipment 'condition check' publication, as people have said a lot like ebay is now. Or if you mean running listening tests, or bench checks on 20-30-40 year old equipment I think this is a non-starter.

Back
Top Bottom