used equipment review

Originally, I had hoped that Affordable$$Audio would be half new and half used. But the problem was securing a regular supply of used gear. Echo Audio was kind enough to allow me to borrow a piece they owned outright from time to time. But the 45minute drive each way on a weekly basis was a pain. In addition, it wasn't fair to the owner Kurt to have gear out of his shop on days he was open.

A shop just moved to five minutes from my house, I may have to talk with the owner and see if I can work out overnight loans. That would be the only way it could work without a massive and regular investment of funds.

good and so so idea

Well the problem is, with used equipment, that they can be in various stages from utter crap-tastic to excellent shape. And how would you define shape? You just can't pick a piece and say do a review. That is why new equipment is easier, at least they all supposedly come from the factory in the same shape.

I don't believe magazines are dead. People still like to hold them, just like vinyl isn't dead.

Old used equipment from the 60's or so is great provided you are willing to upgrade it to modern standards.

Example my Dynaco PAT5. I replaced all caps and used metal film resistors and the replacement op amp is up to high standards. It is my main pre-amp. Cannot be happier. Used cost me $100 and another $100 to upgrade. I could not be happier. Yes some old equipment is not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom