Used Speaker Audition

Yamaki

Not For Hire
Subscriber
11/30/13 speaker audition notes

Speakers Auditioned:
• Vienna Acoustics Strauss
• Aerial Acoustics Model 8

I auditioned a pair of used, high quality, speakers today and thought I'd share my notes.

Sending the electrons to each pair of speakers was a Vincent SV-236MK hybrid amplifier and a very nice Cary CD-306 transport. The Cary may be a bit dated but was ahead of its time considering the formats it supports and a very highly regarded Burr Brown DSD1792U 24-bit, 192-kHz Audio D/A converter. I was concerned that the Vincent was a bit under-powered for the test but I didn't plan on seriously pushing the speakers to ear bleeding sound levels and I was certain it would be sufficient to demonstrate the sonic differences between the two speakers.

I fired up the Vincent, the Cary and inserted my first disc, Rob Wasserman's "Duets" and fast forwarded to Jennifer Warnes and her rendition of "Ballad of a Runaway Horse", a exquisite piece with subtle harmonies, a definitive bassline and the sweet clarity of Jennifer's voice, all mixed to perfection. It is mixed so well that the track is used to perform what is known as the "Sumiko Master Set", a step by step speaker placement process. All in all, a wonderful track and if you can find the CD, it's worth getting simply for that one song.

Next up was Emmylou Harris and some tracks from her "Luxury Liner" album including "Making Believe", "She" and "Tulsa Queen". Emmylou's band at the time was one of the best out there. The breadth, variation and depth of their sound was truly amazing and they were the perfect backdrop to Emmylou's unique vocal style.

Lastly, I broke out the rock and roll, playing several tracks from Chickenfoot's debut CD, appropriately named "Chickenfoot". The group consists of vocalist Sammy Hagar (ex-Van Halen and Montrose member), bassist Michael Anthony (also an ex–Van Halen member), guitarist Joe Satriani, and drummer Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. An eclectic bunch to be certain, however, some good music came from this group including the raucous "Oh Yeah", the thump of "Get It Up" and the softer but edgy "Learning To Fall" . Rumor has it that a third album may be in the works.

First, let's see what the Vienna Acoustics offering brings to the table. A high-performance, large scale floor-standing loudspeaker, the Strauss casts an imposing figure.

Strauss01_zpse22d46fc.jpg

The 7" dual midrange drivers are configured so that the upper unit handles the complete mid-band, while the lower driver blends in as the frequency decreases. Lastly, the side mounted 10"woofer is dedicated to producing ultra-low frequencies.

Sensitivity is a respectable 91dB and the recommended amplifier input power range is a versatile 50-400 watts, with the speakers requiring 4 ohms. Providing a wide frequency range of 27Hz to 30kHz, these speakers could very well prove to deliver a full sonic experience.

The pair I auditioned obviously had been well cared for with no obvious damage to the fabric covers, cabinets, cones or bases. One small nick on the back side of the cabinet above the wire connectors was all I could find during a close inspection.

The Strauss is a big speaker compared to my Vienna Acoustic Mozart, but visually very similar sporting the same beech colored cabinet and the arrangement of the tweeter and dual midrange drivers in the face . The biggest visual differences are the side mounted 10" woofer, the one inch wider face, 5 inch deeper cabinet and an overall height difference of 8 inches.

So how did the Strauss pair do? In a word, "Respectable".

The detail, depth of sound field and imaging were good but not knock me over good. They speakers never exhibited the spatial imaging that makes a good pair of speakers disappear, leaving you alone with the music. I was always aware of the fact that there was a big pair of speakers in front of me.

They tended to be harsh at the upper frequencies and seemed to lose the detail sounding as if they were having their own sonic war, colliding and competing for space at the tweeter and immediately in front of the speaker. It's as if the smooth electron pipe ended with a perforated nozzle that scattered the notes, creating incoherent and often harsh streams of sound. Suffice to say the Vienna's became fatiguing pretty quickly.

Basically I was listening to a larger version of the speakers I currently own which in the final analysis was not much of an improvement.

I surmised the amp was letting the side down but this wasn't the time to swap amps and invalidate the comparison.

I moved on to the Aerial Acoustics Model 8 speaker pair, another set of large floor standing speakers.

The Danish-built cabinets are produced in perfect mirror-imaged pairs using the finest veneers finished to a very high standard. In addition the veneers are book-matched for symmetry on each side which lend to the striking and tasteful appearance. The pair I auditioned was enclosed in rich rosewood, a $600 per speaker upgrade. Also included were the substantial bases and adjustable spike kit.

These are a smidgen larger, coming in at just a bit over 1 inch wider and 3 inches deeper. Be that as it may, they loom over my Mozarts but in a very good way.

Boasting a frequency range of 28Hz to 22kHz and a sensitivity of 86dB, they compare well with their competition but come with a completely different set of material specifications. Starting at the bottom, the 8 features a +10"-diameter woofer incorporating a 2" voice-coil and a large magnet in a 61-liter rear-ported box tuned to 19Hz. The large midrange driver is a 7.1" multi-fiber paper cone unit. The tweeters, a custom built 1" titanium dome design, were sourced from MB Quart company.

As the 8's are rated up to 300 watts at 8 ohms, I was still worried about the test results given the rating of the amplifier in use for this listening session. However, I must give credit where credit is due. The Vincent never wavered in its mission to provide usable power. Obviously I'd give the speakers a full 300 watts plus some headroom just to extract their best performance.

And what about that performance? In a word, Outstanding!

Regardless of the music's demands or the power available, the detail, depth and spatial imaging of these speakers is beyond reproach.

These speakers truly do disappear and never intrude on your listening pleasure. Even at higher dB levels, the reproduction of each voice and instrument is distinct and well defined. They reproduced the sound of Emmylou's voice as if she were standing right in front of me with the band just a few steps behind and to both sides of her. The most amazing aspect of these speakers is the high levels of transparency and clarity they exhibit, some of the best I have ever heard. They render every detail of the music in a very natural and pleasing manner.

The 8's were able to produce a bigger, deeper and wider soundstage than the Strauss speakers despite what the specifications would indicate. They produced tight and well defined bass whereas the Strauss seemed to be straining to reach those lower levels and they sounded a bit smothered as a result. The layering and center fill was rock solid with a presence that brings you in and invites you to listen for hours on end.

I could not find, nor hear, one flaw with the Aerial Acoustic Model 8 sonic performance during the test, despite the power limitation.

I was so impressed with the used but well loved pair I found that I put a deposit on them and soon they will grace my listening area, providing what I am sure will be hours and days and years of enjoyment.

AA8B04_zps320c7e99.jpg

AA8B_zps8dab53d4.jpg

Last edited:
Outstanding review, thank you. I hope they sound as good in your room as they did where you auditioned them, but as your speakers are a close match to the Vienna's, should be an improvement!

Just an update. These things sound fantastic! I'm very pleased with my purchase and glad that I upgraded all of my cables, with sufficient burn in, before I put them to work!

Glad to do it. Looking forward to something else I can review and buy...LOL

Exactly what I'd expect from something with MB Quart tweeters. Their car stereo component speakers had the best-sounding tweeters I've ever heard in an automotive system. Awesome speakers. Crystal-clear, ultra-smooth, and LUSH. The most-musical car stereo drivers I've ever heard.

Didja have a chance to try bi-wire vs jumpers vs plain ole wire?

Oh, and pictures in your setup? Please don't be a "speak tease" :D

I've been in and out of town and am also in the middle of a cable upgrade to the system so I'm pretty darn slow in getting these up but here are the pics of the AA 8's at the house:

PICT0003_zpse35612a0.jpg

20180402_140244_zpsa85g2uca.jpg

No more shopping for a while. I am just gonna sit back and enjoy them. :music:

Last edited:
Beautiful speakers...I have the exact same pair. I believe the finish is "Rose Walnut". Have you experimented with the woofers facing out versus in? I've been meaning to but with the stands and spikes they aren't exactly easy to move. Mine are currently setup facing out.

I did both and given the close proximity of the woofers to the wall, I opted for turning them in. They sound a lot better that way to my ear, with more bass definition, less "boomy" sounding and timed well with the rest of the music frequencies, probably due to less reflection.

Back
Top Bottom