Used Totem Arro's

bandwagoner

Hi Everyone, I'm excited to say that I scored a used set of Totem Arro's for $500CAD which I thought was a pretty good deal. They are replacing Pioneer SP BS-22 bookshelf speaks.

Now for the questions that I'd love to get your expertise in:
  1. The owner said they were working, but admittedly didn't know much about audio. What should I look for repair wise?
  2. Can my Kenwood KA-5700 drive these? Do I need to look for something else?
Thanks as always

I believe your Kenwood is 40 wpc? The Arros are 4 ohm speakers, so you might want to see if the KA-5700 gets warm at higher volumes. Totem heads talk about Naim, Arcam or other integrated amps that they prefer, but I'd be in no hurry to switch it up. I had the Dreamcatchers, and they sounded fine with my Nad C326.

As far as repair wise, if they play without issue, that's the main thing. You could do the scratch test though. With the system off, push in the woofer gently about a 1/4" using 4 fingers evenly spaced on the woofer. If you feel or hear a scratchy noise, that driver has incurred damage.

For 500, nice find!

I believe your Kenwood is 40 wpc? The Arros are 4 ohm speakers, so you might want to see if the KA-5700 gets warm at higher volumes. Totem heads talk about Naim, Arcam or other integrated amps that they prefer, but I'd be in no hurry to switch it up. I had the Dreamcatchers, and they sounded fine with my Nad C326.

As far as repair wise, if they play without issue, that's the main thing. You could do the scratch test though. With the system off, push in the woofer gently about a 1/4" using 4 fingers evenly spaced on the woofer. If you feel or hear a scratchy noise, that driver has incurred damage.

For 500, nice find!

Thanks!:beerchug:

In detailed pictures, they looked in great shape. I couldn't listen test them, it was an estate sale with no preview, although the seller said they were working.

I pick them up tomorrow, I'll let you know how they sound! Did you like the Totems you had?

I did, but they were in rough shape as I bought mine used as well. I wanted a tower though so ended up selling them to fund the purchase.

Bad news, one of the tweeters has no sound :(

I guess I just have to take it in for service, does anyone have experience with servicing Totem products? Should I contact a dealer or contact Totem?

I saw those and was tempted. I would contact Totem first. They're still being sold so you may be able to buy a Tweeter direct from them.

I saw those and was tempted. I would contact Totem first. They're still being sold so you may be able to buy a Tweeter direct from them.

Totem told me to go to a dealer. The speakers were originally purchased in 2004, as per the dealer.

They recommend I replace both tweeters in case of any changes to Totem's Arro tweeter drivers. Does this make sense?

Totem told me to go to a dealer. The speakers were originally purchased in 2004, as per the dealer.

They recommend I replace both tweeters in case of any changes to Totem's Arro tweeter drivers. Does this make sense?
Yep! Otherwise there may be an issue with FR, imaging, etc.

Despite the fact that Totem speakers look the same over time, that's not the case. They are constantly refining their products. I would buy both tweeters; matching is important.

What are they asking for the tweeters if you don't mind my asking? I think you got a great deal if the new parts are not too costly.

The weirdest thing ever just happened.

I turned on my amp that was hooked up to the Arro's again tonight when I got home from work and played some music just to see what would happen, and just like a miracle, I heard the faintest pop, and suddenly I had sound from the tweeter!

I have no idea what did it. I just emailed my Totem dealer and asked them if I could cancel the order for the tweeters, although I feel bad because my contact Razlan at star electronics was ultra helpful and got back to me within the hour when I emailed them.

Despite the fact that Totem speakers look the same over time, that's not the case. They are constantly refining their products. I would buy both tweeters; matching is important.

What are they asking for the tweeters if you don't mind my asking? I think you got a great deal if the new parts are not too costly.

I was quoted $275 (CAD obviously) installed, which I thought was more than reasonable.

Would anyone suggest getting the new tweeters anyways? I feel like it might be kind of a waste?

Oh man if the girlfriend wasn't sleeping I'd be rocking out to Tonight's the Night so hard right now :rockon:

Something is at play here. I'd want to get the speakers checked out as it sounds like a weak connection in the crossover, or perhaps the tweeter.

I was quoted $275 (CAD obviously) installed, which I thought was more than reasonable.

Would anyone suggest getting the new tweeters anyways? I feel like it might be kind of a waste?

Oh man if the girlfriend wasn't sleeping I'd be rocking out to Tonight's the Night so hard right now :rockon:

Maybe check for a possible connection that's not solid; I'm surprised it just started working. Even if you did buy new tweeters, you only have about $580 USD in them. That's a heck of a deal. That was a great score.

Maybe check for a possible connection that's not solid; I'm surprised it just started working. Even if you did buy new tweeters, you only have about $580 USD in them. That's a heck of a deal. That was a great score.

I honestly think that's what it was. I was behind the speaker checking the connections when it started working again, so it must have been the connections and stupidity on my part rather than something actually being broken. I then swapped left and right to make sure it wasn't my amp: everything still worked perfectly.

Thanks. I think they turned out to be a good deal. Pretty excited about how they sound, I can't stop listening to stuff I thought I was sick of.

Okay, this reminds me of a time or two when I thought the tweeter was silent, but it turned out to be because the speaker's jumper bars were not connected properly. I bet that's all it was.

A famous jazz artist, Dianna Krall, who could have any Totem TOTL speaker, went with the Totem Arros. I've got a similar speaker by Tannoy, the Revolution DC4T, a small tower with 4 inch drivers. There is something about a what a good small driver can do with voice, etc. The speed of the driver, maybe? I don't know for sure, but they do sound nice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom