Using a DAK 1 with a Turntable - Questions

mistermax

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi Folks,

I have this BSR DAK 1, and someone here said they were using theirs with vinyl, so I thought I would try it. These may seem like really dumb questions, but hey, that's me.

I'm using a Music Hall 2.2, so no preamp in the TT. I'm running it through a Yamaha R-S300 receiver, into the phono input. I go to connect it and realize, first, what about the ground wire? Can I just leave that connected to the receiver and move the RCA outs from the TT to the DAK1? A little annoying because then I'm very limited as to where I put the DAK - has to be right on the receiver (or else I extend the ground wire I guess). There's no ground connection on the DAK, but I could attach the ground wire to one of the case screws on the back, would that work? Thoughts?

Second, if I just run the TT RCA outs directly into the DAK, say into the "Tape In", and then out from the DAK via the "To Preamp-Receiver" into the Yamaha phono input, do you think I'll have any issues re the signal strength or anything? The DAK is AC powered but I don't know if it does anything to the signal other than apply the filters - I assume not.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

mm

I would connect it to a tape loop.That's why it has both in and out connectors and most likely a tape monitor switch.. I would never connect it between a TT and phono stage.

Last edited:
OK, thanks. Just curious why, though - I'm low on tape loops. :( And have other sound processors on them. I can run them in series, but was wanting to try using this device just with the TT for a while, just to see how it worked. Why not run in in between TT and phono stage?

The signal from a TT is not a line level signal. Devices such as you wish to use have a built in tape monitor circuit for a reason. It's to replace the tape monitor loop they use.

Yes, I know, but does it matter?

FWIW, I went ahead and tried it. It worked fine. Only issue was when switching between the DAK and the Bypass, I got a loud click and some speaker movement. But if the signal from the TT is weaker than the DAK expects, I wouldn't think this would be an issue, as long as the signal moves thru the DAK ok. ????

One of the things you seem to have forgotten is that MM/MI phono cartridges work best into specific loads. Running it through the DAK most likely doesn't provide the correct load. In addition a 5mV signal is a lot lower in signal strength than a 2V line level signal.

Do what you like. However, if you're interested in the best sound you can get you won't do it. Once again I ask "why do you think such devices have a tape monitor loop"?

Gee, do you think it's because that's where they were designed to be connected?

LOL, yeah, ok, I'm sure you're right. I'm just not entirely sure I understand the "science" of it, that's all. All this stuff is a bit difficult for me, I'm kind of a right-brain person.

I'll try running it thru a tape loop and see if I can hear the difference. Old ears don't help. Thanks for your help here, I really do appreciate it (even if I do seem to be doing it wrong).

mm

Why not run in in between TT and phono stage?
Because it's designed to work with line-level audio with flat equalization. Even regardless of the large difference in level between phono level (~5 mV) and line level (~200 mV), the output of your phono cartridge does not have RIAA de-emphasis on it, so the processor will be getting a very treble-heavy signal.

Back
Top Bottom