Using Elite SP-99D with modern TV - digital coax or optical/toslink in?

morrisday

I needed a processor/preamp to power (eventually) a 3.1 HT system using a new 4K Samsung and vintage stereo equipment, and only had a couple hundred to spend but didn't want budget quality components. So I ordered an Elite SP-99D from eBay off the strength of this old Audiokarma post.

It seems pretty sweet so far, but would I be getting a better quality signal if I were using the digital coax input instead of optical? The poster linked above says the optical input isn't so great, and digital coax is the one to use. My TV only has HDMI and optical outputs. I ordered one of these for this purpose, just haven't used it yet because I forgot to get a male-to-male digital coax cable but had the toslink. But I have about a month to return it if I don't need it. I could also grab an HDMI to digital coax converter, if it's better to avoid using optical entirely.

Update: I'm using the toslink, and occasionally noticing a sibilant noise that goes away if I turn the pre and amp off for a minute. Not getting the noise when I use the Line 1 input to a Chromecast Audio. Could the optical input be the culprit?

Back
Top Bottom