Using Fisher 500-C Bi-Wired Driving Infinity Kappa 7.1 speakers

kcline

Tube Audio Collector
These speakers like more power then the 500-C has, however connected bi-wired sound great played Kate Wolf what a great voice then played Bauhaus bela lugosi dead had to turn it up about 3/4,s but had good bass and played it well. I like this setup so much I may make a better set of cables and move the speakers to theDSCN0766.JPG DSCN0767.JPG DSCN0769.JPG DSCN0770.JPG 500-C room where my other and better looking unit is at this time

Hi, Im browsing around the Fisher forum and stumbled upon your page. I just recently did a restoration of a Fisher 800C. I love it a lot. This is the first tube gear I have ever owned.

I see in your signature that you have a bit of tube gear. How does the Fisher compare to the other tube gear you have used? Thanks.

kc - How did you bi-wire? Did you use 4ohm speaker outs for woofer and 8ohm for tweets, or vice versa? Thorne

500-C has outputs for two sets of speakers. the speakers are 8 ohms.They have two sets of mounting post with a metal jumper installed. I removed jumper then wired up each set of outputs to the two binding post on speakers. selector on fisher will let you run two sets at the same time so bi-wired load is 8 ohms.

"How does the Fisher compare to the other tube gear you have used?" All of my restored gear has good sound, I play the various units in rotation. The fisher int amps compared to my Scott 299-C, the fishers are little tighter on the bottom in my opinion because of solid state rectifiers where the Scott has a 5AR4 tube rectifier

kc - I knew that. What I should have posted is that both pair of outputs send the same audio material (frequencies) so wouldn't you want some kind of crossover device in order to maximize what you're trying to accomplish?

Using crossover inside speaker of course just now using two sets of speaker wire instead of one. Is sound better not sure as I have not done much listening so far.

You're sending the same signal to both internal crossovers as is sent to them using 1 pair of wires. So electronically there would be no difference.

You're sending the same signal to both internal crossovers as is sent to them using 1 pair of wires. So electronically there would be no difference.
Double the copper=half the resistance. Not sure how much difference that makes tho.

Double the copper=half the resistance. Not sure how much difference that makes tho.

Very little difference because the largest component of resistance affecting damping factor is the speaker voice coil resistance. True biamping should have at least the woofer crossover completely out of the circuit with the woofer directly connected to the amplifier. Many will leave the midrange/tweeter circuits alone because the tweeter does need protection from being overdriven. I biamped a pair of AR-3A speakers this way but, frankly, I could not hear a difference.

One thing to keep in mind is the power capability of the equipment being used. It is better to use more efficient speakers so that less power is demanded from the amplifier circuits. That way the distortion produced by the entire system is kept at a minimum. Many early audio enthusiasts went with corner folded horn speakers so that less speaker cone movement was required for good bass for a given volume level. As time went by other methods were found to minimize speaker distortions and extended studies of frequency response and the effects of different speaker enclosures and methods of damping speaker cone movement were developed. We are fortunate today that there are so many speaker designs available which can be integrated into systems to obtain the best from the power available from an amplifier system.

Have fun experimenting.

Joe

I have a question, being that I also have a 500-c.

Woudn't it work if you were to pull the jumpers from the pre-amp jacks, put in Y cables, with one "Y" going back to the fisher amp, and the other splits going to a seperate amplifier? Specifically something matched for the woofer/tweeter setup? I'd imagine you'd be able to bi-amp this way, and still have volume controlled by the 500c.

Always tempting to do, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way. The reverb jumpers appear in the circuit before the volume and tone controls, so that you would have to control the volume of the external amplifier independently of the Fisher's volume control. While they certainly look like it, the reverb jumpers do not represent classic Preamp Out/Power Amp In jacks in the Fisher.

Dave

Always tempting to do, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way. The reverb jumpers appear in the circuit before the volume and tone controls, so that you would have to control the volume of the external amplifier independently of the Fisher's volume control. While they certainly look like it, the reverb jumpers do not represent classic Preamp Out/Power Amp In jacks in the Fisher.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. Bummer, though!

Back
Top Bottom