Using one ch per MC2100 without bridging..

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
As Mr Poon has been recommending to use his Monarchy Audio amps as monoblocks, but without bridging,,,just left on one amp and right ch thru the other...

would the same benefits be there if 2 Mc2100 or mc250 were used as mono, but without bridging? just using one ch per amp....

Is he saying to leave 1 channel idle on each amp? If so, I don't think it will do much with the Mc, I suspect he's really saying the PS on his amps are marginal and this is not an issue with the 2100/2105.

So it would be ok to use 2 MC250's in mono? The audio boutique I hang out also mentioned against bridging...Is the universe turning inside out??

Let's make sure we are all talking the same ingo. With the 250 and 2100, the manuals talk of dual mono amps. That is really just another way of saying a stereo amp with dual channels. The inputs are separate and ooutputs go to individual speakers. Then there is the dual amp where the same signal is fed into each amp and the output goes to different speakers (passive bi-amp, if you will). Then the amp is bridged and becomes a single mono amp. Single input to 1 channel and output is bridged to a single speaker. I think you are saying to let 1 channel idel and only use 1 channel for amplification.

Most amps lose resolution, detail in other ways tend not to sound as good when connected in a bridged mode. I've tried it with both the 250 and 2100 and yes, there is a loss that to me is suffienct enough that I did not continue the configuration. If between a pair of 250s run in bridged mode or a pair of 2100s each with only 1 channel used, in terms of sound quality, the 2100s win hands down. IMHO, the 2100 is beter sounding than the 250 even before the 250s are bridged (we are talking about very smal differences in favor of the 2100). In fact I'd go with a singel 2100 b/f a pair of 250s each near the speaker and with only 1 channel used. A good longer cable should not pose that much of a loss.

Gotcha,,,,I am pretty keen on upgrading once the funds become available,,,I hear wonders regarding the xtra power of the 2100 series,,,but I had to find out by myself right now, if I liked the Mc sound...

I'm not selling the 250 short at all. I only went to the 2105 b/c of the new speakers that needed the extra headroom for the dynamics. Otherwise the 250 woould still be my main amp after these 35 years.

Back
Top Bottom