USPS Priority Mail vs. Parcel Post: Quality of product.

Njord Noatun

I have been quoted $71 for a stereo shipment by USPS Priority Mail and $41 by USPS Parcel Post. Quite a difference in cost: Beyond expected shipping time (2-3 days vs. 3-9 days), do you think my parcel will be subjected to different treatment and handling depending upon what product I pay for? In short, is the more expensive product likely to increase the chances of the unit making it in one piece? I realize that nine days in someone else's "care" is more risky than just two, but am looking for thoughts beyond merely transit time.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Regards,

Less time = Less handling, reduced chance for damage (amount depends on distance)

Enjoy,
Rich P

Parcel post will most certainly travel by Truck or freight train while unless your very close Priority mail will travel via Air Freight. Which has more actual handling I don't know but I do know they are less likely to pile as much stuff on top of a box in an airplane container then the back of a 110" tall 54' long semi trailer or a box car.

I've read here that if you send it registered mail, each person who processes your package has to document it. That should limit the handlers to responsible mature near retirees. Hope it's not too heavy.

A post office worker told me that the priority package will ship while the parcel post sits there until someone wants to pick up 50 lbs, or until the trucks full.
It's just not a "priority".
It's not what I know, it's just what I heard.:yes:

FYI, I have shipped many/most packages, some over 50-60 lbs, by parcel post and have never (I'm knocking on wood right now) had a problem. I pack pretty well too.

Rob

As far as I'm concerned, Priority Mail is a big joke! I have had things shipped to me from ebay auctions that got here faster parcel post than by priority mail! And most times priority mail is more expensive than UPS.

I would disagree with the above, and the reason is priority mail is all tracked. The US Post Office has internal performance audits to make sure that Priority Mail packages get there on time. While I know there is always an exception (see chillwolf above), when my company had the contract to pickup mail at the airport and deliver it to the post office (which I supervised), in most cases they didn't care if we were slow EXCEPT for the priority mail stuff, which we would get contract "dings" for not delivering on time. The postmaster would greet me (the GM) personnally when I'd stop by and let me know how our priority mail handling was happening. In short, they DO care about that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom