USPS to make Sunday deliveries for Amazon

Heard about this...hopefully will help out USPS and keep 'em healthy (and keep my stamps at a reasonable price). :)

The Diane Reim show on NPR did a full hour show on this topic. It was good listening. Its available for free from the NPR mobile app and probably online too though I haven't checked.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Wonder how they got around the "universal delivery" standard? That's old as the post office itself ...

They did a trial a few months ago. In our area, the post office had dedicated drivers doing next day deliveries for them. I guess they passed the test and got the contract.

Last edited:
If you read the article it says they will start with New York City/NJ and Los Angeles.

What makes me wonder is that Amazon itself almost always uses UPS for shipping. The third party sellers are the big USPS users, at least as far as media mail goes. Will the Sunday delivery go to third party sellers?

Depends on size and locality probably. I'd say a good 90% of my Amazon stuff comes via the post office.

Even the UPS and FedEx stuff ... if you look at the labels, a LOT of the post office deliveries are drop shipped by the competition for final delivery. UPS calls it Mail Innovations ... FedEx calls their version SmartPost. Comes with being in the sticks where it's not profitable for them.

Reading between the lines, I guess the competition figures it's innovative and smart to just let the post office do the job. <G>

Depends on size and locality probably. I'd say a good 90% of my Amazon stuff comes via the post office.

Even the UPS and FedEx stuff ... if you look at the labels, a LOT of the post office deliveries are drop shipped by the competition for final delivery. UPS calls it Mail Innovations ... FedEx calls their version SmartPost. Comes with being in the sticks where it's not profitable for them.

Reading between the lines, I guess the competition figures it's innovative and smart to just let the post office do the job. <G>

I get those also, and I am outside a large metro area. FedEx Smartpost is based here used to be called Quad Direct until they sold it to FedEx. There are other brands offering the same drop shipped product.

Right now, a percentage of my Amazon Prime orders are being delivered via Smartpost. The majority of the smartpost orders have been a slow hassle. Not only are they slower than advertised, but most of the time I have to go to the post office to pick up large boxes. It's an hour out of my day, plus gas, to have to go to the post office and pick up an order. Best case scenario on regular small items, I have to go almost a quarter mile to the community lock-box. With UPS they just bring stuff to my door, or at least to our gate.

This makes the Prime membership much less valuable. However, just for kicks, I ordered something with regular 3-5 day shipping. It took a good 5 days, vs their usual 3 days in the past. So, even the slow shipping has gotten crappier, making Prime still worth it. I can only imagine that's by design.

In my area, USPS has been delivering priority mail packages on Sunday mornings for many years. Regarding Smartpost, I hate when retailers use them for shipping. Its just annoyingly slow.

Last edited:
Got a CD delivered this morning before 9am. I did not see who made the delivery as I was still in bed after working a double yesterday. It has a USPS barcode on it, marked Sunday delivery, and also another barcode that looks like a UPS barcode with the little scanable box next to it.

Got another Sunday Amazon delivery from the USPS.

The reason the 3rd party mailers are slower is that the seller has to accumulate 300 pcs before they can make the drop shipment.

Prime 2 day delivery is not an option in Hawaii unfortunately. But when im in my pad on the mainland prime Sunday delivery has been great.

Order Friday, get it Sunday. Works for me. And on a few occasions it has really been amazing, like when i am flying out Monday morning and need something by Sunday.

So far no issues at all.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom