V15 lll body vs M97x body

Interesting question, I have wondered that myself.

Why are you considering SAS? What turntable and tone-arm will it be mounted in?

Interesting question, I have wondered that myself.

Why are you considering SAS? What turntable and tone-arm will it be mounted in?
Why not the SAS? Isn't it suppose to be the best replacement?
I have the SOTA Sapphire with a Sumiko (Jelco) FT-3. I believe you missed the meaning of this post. Let's say we used a compairable stylus such as the vivid line. The focus is the body.

Last edited:
I haven't yet heard an SAS stylus, I'm very happy with my OEM Shure as well as the JICO clones for my V15 type lll and lV.

If it's the "best" that you are looking for, then go with the laminated core, "Made In USA" V15 lll.

Last edited:
There is no comparison between the V15 lll and M97xE, in my opinion. The OP is asking about those cartridge bodies with a SAS stylus which, from what I understand, changes the character of both.

I have heard the Jico SAS styli for the V15 Type III, Type IV, and the M97xE. To my ears, the best sounding one was on the V15 Type III and then the Type IV and then the M97xE. Hope that helps. Go with the Jico SAS on the V15 Type III. You will not be disappointed.

@ghamilton,

I would put the Jico SAS on the better cartridge, which of the two is the V15-III.

I have used a SAS on the V15-III with great results ... a low mass arm for the V15-III is needed to sound its best. The M97xE with the brush down can also play nicely on mediums mass arms so this may be a consideration for you?

I am playing my M97xE with a LPGear N97 Vivid Line stylus. For a lot less money than a SAS the VL provides a big improvement over the stock Shure stylus. I am very impressed with it as it maintains the smooth bass and midrange of he M97 and it achieves much better high end detail over the stock stylus.

Good luck, Bob

I just put a new Vivid Line contact stylus on this V15 and it sounds very good,...but it has a hum. Any ideas?

I just put a new Vivid Line contact stylus on this V15 and it sounds very good,...but it has a hum. Any ideas?

Make sure all the cartridge wire connectors are clean and tight on the cartridge pins. Make sure the stylus is seated properly in the cartridge body.

Turntable grounded.

Make sure all the cartridge wire connectors are clean and tight on the cartridge pins. Make sure the stylus is seated properly in the cartridge body.

Turntable grounded.
All 3 check out. Now what? Could the wrong mounting bolts be suspect?

Describe the hum, all the time? Only with platter spinning? Only when needle in the groove? Loud?

Never seen a stylus cause hum, does it go away with another stylus in there, or with a cartridge swap?

Are the rca plugs in tight?

Problem solved. It was the mounting bolts. I took them out and the hum went away. Now to find the right ones for the V15lll body. They need to be at least 18mm long. Any suggestions?

There is no comparison between the V15 lll and M97xE, in my opinion. The OP is asking about those cartridge bodies with a SAS stylus which, from what I understand, changes the character of both.

No question about that. I have a few Shures w/ SAS that I got before the cost increases. For better or worse (depending on what you like), The SAS stylus changes the sound in a clear & obvious way. I don't have a V15iii tho so I really can't help w/ the OPs question.

So the general consensus is the good old V15III is a better sounding body than the M97xe?

I have a few of each, one V15III with a Jico (after I destroyed my MicroRidge stylus) one V15III with an original Supertrack Plus and a new M97xe which I've only played once or twice. I was going to swap the M97xe into my TT.

Shall I just stick with the old Supertrack Plus?

So the general consensus is the good old V15III is a better sounding body than the M97xe?

I have a few of each, one V15III with a Jico (after I destroyed my MicroRidge stylus) one V15III with an original Supertrack Plus and a new M97xe which I've only played once or twice. I was going to swap the M97xe into my TT.

Shall I just stick with the old Supertrack Plus?

Nope. You should try the M97, compared it to the V15-III, and give us your opinion.

Another key question ... what do you prefer, the stock VN35e or the SAS?

The V15III with a vivid line from lpgear will blow you away. It sounds better than the M97x/SAS combo! Not kidding.

Back
Top Bottom