VAC Vintage High Power Mk II Monophonic Power Amplifier

Hi all, I am from Vietnam, do have a pair of VAC V100 as well.
Welcome to AK Dotting and nice job with your system and amps.

A little bit strange that my pair has switches that change modes of power supply transformer.
Some pairs optioned by VAC with knobs switching between triode - ultralinear, cages also.

The manual says you can have that switch installed if you send it back to them.

Last edited:
Can somebody here help to clarify the differences between two versions MK1 and MK2?

Many thanks!

I wish this company had some chronological order to there equipment and dates when gear was in production. It's so hard to find any info on their stuff.
They are great when you call them. Kevin, the owner answered when I called and spoke to me for 30 minutes about retubing my Pre.

They're not much for documentation on old products- but Kevin has a memory like an elephant about all his old gear. A call to him can reveal a lot...

Regards,
Gordon.

I don't think there was a MKI, Not listed that way on the site or manual.

http://www.vac-amps.com/pages/ProductManuals.html
In fact I have both versions, one is with MKII written on the faceplate, the other without.

So far I failed to communicate with VAC twice asking technical and spare part questions by emails to the official address then received no reply.

Besides, I am too far to make a call to Kevin. Will very much appreciate if someone can help it :beerchug:

See below pic for MKI version:

A31CBDF4-904A-4E49-8CE7-E287FB4A81AB.jpeg

Last edited:
longtime friend of mine has these mono blocks and the matching pre amp. He used them for quite awhile running speakes from Quads to Genesis, and Mourdant Short. They have always sounded very nice over at his place. The phono stage in it is quite good, and he happens to own a Sota Sapphire with SME M2-9 arm. LOL. These days he has set them aside for a pair of Pass SS mono blocks that are better suited for his current ATC speakers.

Regards
Mister Pig

Do you mind to tell the model of the ATC speakers? Many thanks!

Do you mind to tell the model of the ATC speakers? Many thanks!
Not sure what ATC other people are using, but I have a set of ATC SCM20T (Passive) which have worked well for me. I use Totem Element Fire in a different system and they also do a great job in my space.

Not sure what ATC other people are using, but I have a set of ATC SCM20T (Passive) which have worked well for me. I use Totem Element Fire in a different system and they also do a great job in my space.
Nice piece of info!
I am planning to have a pair of ATC SCM-20SL, wondering if it can be driven by VAC V100 or not :idea:

I had a problem last night with one of my amps that I need to investigate, unfortunately I'm not a tech so I don't know If I'll be able to fix it. I turned on the system and heard a weird sound like a staticy fizzle coming from the left channel. I thought to check the bias and the TP2 test point wasn't registering anything so I changed out that tube thinking it went bad. That wasn't the problem as the next tube tested there didn't register either.

However I also found out the noise I was hearing wasn't the amp, it was the phono staging. The amps sound fine to me but now in the one spot I don't know where the bias is set so I just centered the adjuster. Also when I got the amps I had a bad tube but really couldn't hear it, I determined it was bad because of a low bias reading as my tube tester doesn't do Kt88s.

The last time I did the bias was around two months ago when I got a replacement tube, at that time bias tested just fine. About a week ago I did forget to turn off the amps with the rest of the system and they stayed lit for around 12 hours without a signal. Again I'm not hearing any problems but have concern as to not being able to set the bias on that tube.

I had a problem last night with one of my amps that I need to investigate, unfortunately I'm not a tech so I don't know If I'll be able to fix it. I turned on the system and heard a weird sound like a staticy fizzle coming from the left channel. I thought to check the bias and the TP2 test point wasn't registering anything so I changed out that tube thinking it went bad. That wasn't the problem as the next tube tested there didn't register either.

However I also found out the noise I was hearing wasn't the amp, it was the phono staging. The amps sound fine to me but now in the one spot I don't know where the bias is set so I just centered the adjuster. Also when I got the amps I had a bad tube but really couldn't hear it, I determined it was bad because of a low bias reading as my tube tester doesn't do Kt88s.

The last time I did the bias was around two months ago when I got a replacement tube, at that time bias tested just fine. About a week ago I did forget to turn off the amps with the rest of the system and they stayed lit for around 12 hours without a signal. Again I'm not hearing any problems but have concern as to not being able to set the bias on that tube.
Technical problem. Get your tech to check it out, if it doesn't self-correct, soon.

Does the tube tester do 6550s? That setting will test KT88s adequately.

Regards,
Gordon.

I'll have to look, don't know if it does that base and pin size.

Not sure if my Hickok will test KT88/6550's but I do have an emissions tester that will test for shorts and will at least test for good/bad status. I can bring it over after the holidays to test your tubes if yours doesn't support testing those tubes and you haven't determined whether they're good by then.

Ok I determined it's a tube issue.
Tonight I turned the unit on, all was good setting bias right away, I then checked the other amp again and then went back to the problem unit. As it warms up is goes bad, so I put a tube in I assumed was good and sill had the same issue. I let the amps warm for an hour, same thing. So I moved tube locations, at first it was working again but as it warmed up the issue followed the tube.

When I got the amps I found one bad tube, so I used my Mac tubes but liked these vintage Golden Dragons that you can't buy new anymore. I posted a WTB here for some and Kegger had a couple he thought where good. Then he died and Andy found what I had paid for and sent them to me. So it looks like I had one bad original, Kegger only had one good out of two, and now I just lost another original. I am now down one again and only have 7 working correctly right now.:(

Sorry to bother you all, I guess I'll try another WTB, but thinking they are all on their way out.
The part that suxs is right when I got these and didn't now I was keeping them, there was 8 NOS Golden Dragons on the bay that I should have bought in hind sight.

Not sure if my Hickok will test KT88/6550's but I do have an emissions tester that will test for shorts and will at least test for good/bad status. I can bring it over after the holidays to test your tubes if yours doesn't support testing those tubes and you haven't determined whether they're good by then.

Thanks Eric it looks like a bad tube and my tester doesn't do this size.

Back
Top Bottom