Valentines Day, 2005

After a scare like that, I'm happy your ticker is tickin' away as it should!

I gave up the smokes about 2 1/2 years ago. I had a buddy at work (really nice lady my age - dang if she ain't married!) who wanted to quit. I said "hey, let's be quit buddies!" I stopped cold turkey. She went back. I keep ribbing her about it! :nono:

As for me, the cholesterol is a touch high, but I was able to get the blood pressure under control. Sugar's OK. Working on the cholesterol now. Tip for all the guys out there - go to the doctor regularly and know your numbers!

Oh yeah, and put down the smokes!

Wow Mr Pencil. Damit, hold on while I sip on the rum and coke.....Not trying to be a joker here. You are right. I am a prime candidate for the 6ft under club. I smoke, drink, but eat good foods. All my brothers and sisters are dead from massive heart attacks. I know, stupid but I still do it.

Come tomorrow I will call for an appointment and referred for a total work up. I know there are a lot of us walking dead.

Yours I think is a wonderful Valentines gift to the many of us. Thank you.

I've been looking for a change anyways.

Yours I think is a wonderful Valentines gift to the many of us. Thank you.

If you'd have seen the look on my at-the-time-13-year-old-daughter's face as they wheeled me off into the operating room, it would make the "gift" even more significant.:thmbsp:

Glad you're still around to post dumb jokes. :tongue: :D I finally put down the smokes back in October or November, I forget now, and I'm still somewhat toxic from it, I can tell. But definitely doing WAY better than I was, as far as the lungs & heart go. :thmbsp:

Thank you for posting that. Near misses (not the wife) tend to bring out the humour in us. I know what I need to do.

Thanks very much for this informative post. I hope to see it reposted for many more Valentine Days.

Thank you, thank you for sharing!
And a Happy Valentine's Day to you!
Glad to know you are still around and kicking, 8 years on!!

Wife and I quite smoking in 2000 - still enjoy a bit too much of the fried food,
but we are working it down and keeping the blood pressure safe ...

In light of recent threads by TheX and Tapehead47, it's time to bump this thread again, as I will probably do every Valentines' Day.

9 years ago today is when I had my heart attack and bypass surgery. After the surgery, I had a little concern over how long the 'fix' would last. I have several acquaintances who have had similar operations. Some have had seconds, others have passed on. The common factor in the less-than-fortunate seems to be the absence of following the doctor's orders. I've mentioned before that I have issues with my doc's bedside manner, but I also know he's one of the best around (head of the cardiovascular unit at the best hospital around). I go in for a checkup every 3 mos., with bloodwork at the same time. I'm overweight (5'9'', 260), but I walk every day (365), cut out on the junk food, eat healthier meals, and take my meds religiously. I had a little hiccup 6 years ago that brought on another angiogram, but it came out fine. My last visit, he thought he heard a murmur, so I had an echocardiogram to check. He said everything looks great, and my bypass should be good for another 15-20 years - maybe longer. Good news for my 63 year old body.

The biggest change was for me to quit smoking. He said all along it was the major cause, and that was reason enough to quit.

So if you think something's wrong, have it checked out. Heart surgery is scary, but it's a lot more fun than a funeral.

Great Post

As the not so proud owner of one of those fine stents in my heart, I can understand where you are coming from, I am very lucky that I did not have to have bypass. I was way over weight and smoked 3 and 1/2 packs a day, I quit right after getting the stent in 2006 and have since lost about 110 pounds,I feel much better. Thanks for the post, when I feel the urge to eat bad I will read it, it is a motivator. Stay healthy.

Ken

I had my first heart attack last month, and have to go in March 10th for one for Stent. Thankfully they were able to fix everything with stents (5 total). Glad you're still here to share.

In light of madDdog67's thread, I figured it was time to bump this one again.

11 years and counting.

Awesome - so glad you are still kickin' it here!

Larry - this thread is new to me. All I can say is that I am very glad that you are still amongst us!

Chris

Back
Top Bottom