Value of an 8080DB

merrylander

AK Member
Since I never seen to set prices at where people want, I would appreciate opinions on this 8080DB. It arrived with no case, seller said it blew fuses. One output, a 2SC1116, was missing but the tie down screws were dangling in place, probably causing a short. Tested the three outputs and all were good, replaced the missing one. No fuses blew but it stayed in protect mode. Replaced most of the fusistors on the driver board, now it came out of protect mode, but no FM. Found a transistor in the 12.5 volt regulators that some genius had installed backward. Rebuilt the board just to be safe. Aligned, adjusted and now she is fine

Next step was a case, after much measuring, gluing, veneering and four coats of poly this is what it looks like. Some minor scratching on the face, mostly around the headphone jack - guess your aim gets bad after the sixth beer. :D

So there you have it.

Rob

PS: I changed my mind and stained the Cherry red.

Last edited:
Damn Rob , You're unit looks FANTASTIC. :yes: especially after a 6-pak...Looks as good or better then the unit I just bought (8080DB) for $175 bux. But it WAS from the original owner and in Absolutely Cream Puff condition. with the little plastic Dolby noise reduction sign still hangin' from the knob. :yes: My unit prolly is in need of some kind of tune up. BUT SOUNDS FANTASTIC as far as MY ears can tell. :banana: :smoke: Great Job.Yours looks GEORGOUS. Keep up the GREAT work ! :yes:

Well the difference is that the original 8080DB case is vinyl where this one is real Cherry veneer, but this still does not answer the question of what it is worth.

Rob

From my point of view, I wouldn't hesitate to pay $200 for it. The fact that it's been worked on by someone with a reputation for really going out of their way to make these units exactly right makes it worth at least that much. Not to mention the beautiful cherry veneer. Plus, the 8080DB and the 9090DB are almost identical except for the 40wpc difference. I think too many people forget about the 8080DB because the 9090DB was Sansui's top of the line receiver.

Back
Top Bottom