Value of Rolling Stone mag First issue

superdog

AK Member
Has a value ever been put on the first issue of RS mag?I was wondering as I picked up one today from a flea market.

Rolling Stone newspaper #1

A couple hundred $$ if in mint condition. But beware, you may have a reprint issue, not an original.

I asked where it came from and the seller said it came in a box of rolling stone magazines he picked up.It is in very good condition not mint.The serrated edges show some wear where they are sticking out more.How can one tell if it is a reprint?

Well I have been searching the net with not much info.There were just as many inquiries as to worth as posts of worth(maybe three).Anywhere from $200- $1500.I am thinking way down at the lower end but who knows.I think this is an original.The back page has split where the fold is in the middle.Probably from the weight of a hundred mags on it resting for thirty years.Other than that is in pretty good condition.As I said there is not much at all on the net about Rolling Stone first issue value.I paid $5 for it.

Here's a 'generic' pic...

Rolling_Stone_Magazine_John_Lennon.jpg

Here's RS #1

I found a set of CD-ROMs with every issue of RS from 1967 to around 2005 at Barnes & Noble for $25

Attachments

• RS1.jpg
    RS1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 35
That's it guys.Now if only there were some info about value and what to look for as far as reprints. I am thinking there are not a whole lot of these floating around.I mean there is not much to them and most were lost,tossed or didn't survive all this time.Thanks.

Superdog, I have an original RS#1 issue & the reprint version. The reprint does not have any info on it indicating that it's a reprint. If I can locate my reprint copy, I'll compare it to the real RS #1 and let you know the difference between the two.

Superdog, I have an original RS#1 issue & the reprint version. The reprint does not have any info on it indicating that it's a reprint. If I can locate my reprint copy, I'll compare it to the real RS #1 and let you know the difference between the two.

That would be great because there seems to be little about these.Just curios as what you do with your original>In a box,framed or what.Thanks.

I have both an authentic original and the re-print as well, though not in front of me at the moment.
Rolling Stone re-printed Issue #1 in 1986 as a promotional give-away, so there likely are thousands out there. A couple of identifiers for the re-print:
- paper used was a glossy stock as opposed to low-grade newsprint of the original
- on page 2, in the block 'Table of Contents', or 'In This Issue', or whatever it's called, there is the notation in very small print, "Edition Reprinted September 1986"
There's more, but that should help...

Watch eBay for value. I had Vol 1 # 1 of Pop Photo And have Vol 1 # 1 of a number of rare model airplane magazines (along with 4800 others) And in todays market either a brick and motar auction sale or eBay is your best bet for value.

and just like vinyl condition is a huge part of the way value is determined.

If you do this search of completed auctions " rolling stones magazine volume 1 " on eBay you will find a sale for $74.99 on a BUY IY NOW.

I have both an authentic original and the re-print as well, though not in front of me at the moment.
Rolling Stone re-printed Issue #1 in 1986 as a promotional give-away, so there likely are thousands out there. A couple of identifiers for the re-print:
- paper used was a glossy stock as opposed to low-grade newsprint of the original
- on page 2, in the block 'Table of Contents', or 'In This Issue', or whatever it's called, there is the notation in very small print, "Edition Reprinted September 1986"
There's more, but that should help...

Thanks a bunch for the info .Thats what I was looking for.It is a reprint.It says Edition reprinted September 1986.Like I said earlier I would think there are not a lot of originals out there.Well I'll just add it to my box of RS mags of mainly 70s issues and special and commemorative ones.

Too bad it's a reprint - it would have been cool to have an original.

Back when I was in college (mid-1980's) the University of Illinois has bound issues for every year of Rolling Stone. I remember seeing that first issue.

That would be great because there seems to be little about these.Just curios as what you do with your original>In a box,framed or what.Thanks.

I wrap any valuable newsprint in plastic & keep it hidden away from sunlight, heat & humidity.

Back
Top Bottom