Value of Yamaha CR-2020 Receiver

Vistance

Simply put, what kind of price do you guys think real world a CR-2020 is worth if it's in perfect condition (As in works good, but not restored like many stereo finds) in the real world (i.e. not what they go for on eBay and Audiogon)?

Cool beans - thanks guys. A curiosity though, how come this big Yamaha doesn't go for more? Not as popular as Pioneer/Marantz/Sansui I gather? Honestly a bit surprised. I had a lead on one but the seller is asking $250 - thought it might've been a deal for a TOTL Yamaha.

This amp has a weakness in the power supply board that should be corrected it if hasn't yet. A restored CR-2020 will fetch around $400-$450, although I know that's not what you're asking. To pay $250 for one and then have to pay a tech for the power supply repair / dc offset and bias adjustment would put you near the low end of one that's already restored. That said, if you have the cash, may want to hold out for one that doesn't need anything done to it.

It's a great sounding receiver, though - I've always been fond of them - and the CR-2040

Attachments

• 2020_21.jpg
    2020_21.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 2020_9.jpg
    2020_9.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 75
Local pick up is the way to go with this receiver.

It's very heavy and will require a monster box.

250 for one that has been well taken care of is not bad. Have not seen one pop-up around here for sell in awhile. Have enjoyed mine very much.

Considering the quality, these tend to be underpriced. I sold one recently for $390, but it was about as close to mint as I've seen, with all original packing, box, manuals, colour brochures. Similar era size, specs, weight with a Pioneer or Sansui name would have brought lots more.

$250 is good - I paid $300 for mine and was happy with the price. They are not often for sale around here... even 1020s only pop up a few times a year locally. If it's working good, and in nice shape... go for it!

fyi... THE TOTL yamaha of the era would be the limited production CR 3020, and in good working condition it can't be had for under $1000 - if you can find one. The 2040 is a considered a good step up from the 2020 too - one generation newer etc, and can be had for much less than a 3020, but are still not cheap. Other than that the 2020 is near the top of the heap as far as Yamaha receivers of the time.

Last edited:
Funny to what the prices were just 8 years ago. Today. $200-300 is the going price for Good condition CR420/620. An 820 would be snag in that price range. I havent seen a 2020 (working and good condition) for less than $700

Back
Top Bottom