Value on a Telefunken Hymnus tube console?

superdog

AK Member
There is one of these at a antique/junk shop.The guy says it works and is in good cosmetic condition.He threw out a price of $700.No way on earth I am paying that much for any console but it did pique my interest.If and thats a big if I am thinking around $400 if even that.TELEFUNKEN.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181214_125239.jpg
    IMG_20181214_125239.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20181214_125053.jpg
    IMG_20181214_125053.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20181214_125128.jpg
    IMG_20181214_125128.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 77
It’s beautiful sounds good and choke full of tele tubes. Good luck trying to buy that for 400.00. Sexy mcm look is red hot. I got 700.00 for mine and buyer paid 300 or so for uship per to deliver.

Worth every penny and would tell seller to hold out at his price. Someone will happily pay it.

If you're willing to wait, someone probably will pay that price, but I avoid those consoles as they usually don't have a lot of valuable tubes in them. I've had a couple similar Grundigs and won't buy any more.

Now, if you are looking for an MCM statement piece, it's a consideration, but the tubes and components won't get you that $700 back if your looking for a quick flip or a guy.

Good luck!

Cabinet is a little rough and they're a royal PITA to work on. I had a few german radios and it was like something shiny and twinkley but after you've had it for a while it wears off and you have this piece that you don't listen to and it's taking up real estate. I won't say never again but the odds are pretty low I'll own another.

Hold on.. The first pic isnt the same unit! I didnt notice that the first time I looked.

Last edited:
I agree. It's the cabinet that makes that one valuable. The components and speakers might be worth $150.
I remember when the guts were sought and the cabinet trashed.
If you're willing to wait, someone probably will pay that price, but I avoid those consoles as they usually don't have a lot of valuable tubes in them. I've had a couple similar Grundigs and won't buy any more.

Now, if you are looking for an MCM statement piece, it's a consideration, but the tubes and components won't get you that $700 back if your looking for a quick flip or a guy.

Good luck!
I am not looking for the flip.I always wanted a quality tube console.I gutted a small one about nine years ago and had a couple of early ss units but the size of these was always a negative.This is one if I get it is one to be restored( to a certain degree) and kept until the end.
Yup. Agree Andy. Wanna gut & flip buy an ampex, pilot or fisher. This item is for people who like a pretty console just the way it is. Whole.
This is the way I want and will keep.
So anyway guys what do you think is a good reference starting point as too value.The cab is in pretty good shape but not perfect.I couldn't say about the mechanisms.He said it works.

Last edited:
Offer 500.00. Or look for a Motorola. Nice cabinets made by Drexel. Tuner dials look like 60’s mustang gauges. Use a funky 3 channel amp that is not gutworthy but sounds nice and looks gorgeous. Those can usually be had for less.

Those German made cabinets from that era are made of sawdust and the smallest amount of binder to hold it together. You can crumble the stuff in your hands. And if it gets wet, it will expand like you've never seen. All around, they are difficult to work on. I had a similar unit that someone gave me, I didn't keep it long. But, you might have a different experience.

Those German made cabinets from that era are made of sawdust and the smallest amount of binder to hold it together. You can crumble the stuff in your hands. And if it gets wet, it will expand like you've never seen. All around, they are difficult to work on. I had a similar unit that someone gave me, I didn't keep it long. But, you might have a different experience.
I'm not real familiar with these but had a Nordmende that didn't work and just took the speaker's out and don't rembemre what I did with it.I read where they are not an easy fix.Im still kicking this around and know buying one is just the beginning.There is the money involved restoring them.Thats why it has to be very reasonable price wise to even consider.

The one in the pic looks nice. How nice it is to you, only you can decide. Go give it a listen.

There is one of these at a antique/junk shop.The guy says it works and is in good cosmetic condition.He threw out a price of $700.No way on earth I am paying that much for any console but it did pique my interest.If and thats a big if I am thinking around $400 if even that.View attachment 1357015

I had that exact console on CL for $250 for about 4 months... I finally sold it for $175. It might be this exact one. I sold it about 8 months ago.

I would disagree with the cabinet build criticism, I fully respect the build quality of all the German consoles of this period. They did use particle board in some areas, but did it judiciously.

The one in the pic looks nice. How nice it is to you, only you can decide. Go give it a listen.
The one in the pic is not the one but the one in question is pretty close.Yes it is just a matter of how much I want.I was looking for a one time end game tube console.This is supposed to be a working console.If not I'll probably pass.I'm looking at an offer of $300.

If your not willing to put a grand into it by rebuilding it, then of course if the potential condition of the cabnet is in pristine condition, with the added investment it may increase the value of the peice. Period collectors love the name Telefuken, but it’s got to look and work like brand new. I wouldn’t be treating the peice like a coffee table either, putting stuff on it because if the cabinet is not wavy or warped you may have found a high dollar item. But not in the audio world !!

Back
Top Bottom