Van Halen better with Roth or Hagar?

Roth or Hagar

• Roth

Votes: 512 80.6%
  • Hagar

Votes: 123 19.4%

• Total voters
has anyone seen the latest tour? do they do songs from the Hagar era? that is one thing i also liked about the Hagar era. he didnt let his ego get in the way from doing old songs from the roth era.I think he sang some of the older stuff better than Roth did. "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" is much better with Sammy on vocals.

has anyone seen the latest tour? do they do songs from the Hagar era? that is one thing i also liked about the Hagar era. he didnt let his ego get in the way from doing old songs from the roth era.I think he sang some of the older stuff better than Roth did. "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" is much better with Sammy on vocals.

Yes, and no they don't play any Hagar or Cherone era tunes.

I really wish Gary Cherone was an option on this poll, just to be a smart alec.

That being said, Roth by a mile. Those first six albums are classics.

There are a couple of good tunes on OU812, but VH was far more dynamic and higher-energy with DLR.

Everything after the 1984 release with Hagar coming on board was mediocre at best, in my opinion, although it sold well. I first saw VH in 1978 on their debut LP opening up for Blue Oyster Cult and they blew everyone away. I've seen both iterations live during the heyday and both were great live but my vote still goes to the Roth era. Now Hagar by himself was another story...he rocked. Same thing goes with him, Michael Anthony, Joe Satriani, and whoever the drummer is with the band Chickenfoot. That's some good stuff...

Chad Smith...also of Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Oh, and Roth by a landslide.

-D

Roth. Hagar is the better singer and far more versatile musician, but it's not really Van Halen without Roth.

Hmmm, maybe but I doubt royalty checks have ceased yet from the first 6 Diamond and Multi Platinum records. :scratch2:

Well maybe they enjoy the work. Rubenstein retired from the stage when he was 89 years old and Heifetz played professionally until he was 71 when an arm injury forced him to retire (though he still played for his own enjoyment). Yeah, musicians like to play.

Back
Top Bottom