Van Halen better with Roth or Hagar?

Roth or Hagar

• Roth

Votes: 512 80.6%
  • Hagar

Votes: 123 19.4%

• Total voters
Sammy Hagar made Van Halen a better band. The songs that came out when he joined the band were significantly better!
So many great albums with Hagar! Roth could jump but no longer.....

That's the beauty of opinions/music/ AK imho I hated all albums with Hagar the odd decent tune but that's about it:smoke:

I have seen VH in both flavors and Roth is the better frontman live. Hagar has always been good as Sammy Hagar and Co. but Eddy always made sure that he was the guitar slinger during the Van/Hagar years.

Sammy fer shure. I been a Sammy Hagar fan since Montrose. Nothing against Roth but, VH with Sammy not only sold more albums but also more tickets, received the first number #1 record and Sammy first and foremost is a musician, that can not only write music and great lyrics. None of the VH boys can write!

Roth NEEDS VH, Sammy does not. He was a headliner before and is a headliner after VH. Roth, on his own, couldnt sell out a toliet bowl. To Roths credit though, he did come out with a great EP and one LP after VH, But, nothing more. This new, highly anticipated LP with Roth, IMO, was a huge dis-appointment. Most of the material is nothing more then re-hashed stuff they decided not to use back in their early days. Wonder why that is? Maybe it wasnt strong material back then, why would they think it is now?

Or, has the well run dry regarding the ability to make new music. Oh well, to each his own but, my pick will always be Sammy over anything solo Roth and VH. Oh, and Ive seen all 3 versions of VH. Roth a better frontman, Hardly. Sammy was and still is one of the best frontmen around and can also play a mean guitar. And at 60+ he is in much better condition the Roth. To be fair, DLR was a great frontman, years ago, but his time has come and gone.

Sorry Roth fans but the facts are the facts. :yes::D

Last edited:
So evidently a frontman in a band has a role that involves more than being a singer, that he is to supply some old time show business pizzaz?

So evidently a frontman in a band has a role that involves more than being a singer, that he is to supply some old time show business pizzaz?

Yep. If it was about technical singing ability that guy from Exxtreme or whatever the band's name was that headed VH for a blink of an eye would be the winner. I remember him from the Freddie Mercury tribute concert back in '91 or so, and he really could sing. Even in tune, across several octaves! But it aint' about singing. It's about putting on a show.

Yep. If it was about technical singing ability that guy from Exxtreme or whatever the band's name was that headed VH for a blink of an eye would be the winner. I remember him from the Freddie Mercury tribute concert back in '91 or so, and he really could sing. Even in tune, across several octaves! But it aint' about singing. It's about putting on a show.

The guy you're refering to is gary Cherone from the band Extreme. I agree, he is a very good singer, maybe almost as good as Sammy. He just didnt fit in with VH. Now, if you do like his style, check out some Exreme records, here is where he shines.

The difference is Sammy has it all, vocals, showmanship, can read and write music and can carry a show on his own. But het, JMHO

Roth.

First five albums are classic Van Halen. Didn't care for them at all after that. I also like Sammy and saw him on his Red tour back in the 70's. Great show but so too was the Van Halen II show I saw a little later in the decade.

Sorry for all the talent they were supposed to have they never amounted to more than a mediocre band IMO.And the lyrics, please.They were the type of band I would have liked in 7th grade.Sorry again guys I had to speak my peace.

Roth
It's not Van Halen without Michael Anthony, his background vocals and bass playing were a huge part of the VH sound.

Roth.

"Balance" was the only Hagar release that came anywhere close to the raw heaviness of early Roth era releases, IMO.

Never a big fan of this band, but with DLR, their music had more personality. Hagar made them sound too generic.

The fact that this is even a thread says a lot about the abilities of both front men, each with a bunch of VH records under his belt.

I'm going with Hagar for the reasons already mentioned. I have and love all the early VH stuff though some of those records it is very evident they were searching for material. Happy Trails? Really?

Roth.

Simply because he was the original, a good showman and was geat in the videos. The "California Girls" video is a good example. His reactions and the looks on his face while walking down the line of girls looking at them is hilarious!

Back
Top Bottom