Van Halen better with Roth or Hagar?

Roth or Hagar

• Roth

Votes: 512 80.6%
  • Hagar

Votes: 123 19.4%

• Total voters
Everything after the 1984 release with Hagar coming on board was mediocre at best, in my opinion, although it sold well. I first saw VH in 1978 on their debut LP opening up for Blue Oyster Cult and they blew everyone away. I've seen both iterations live during the heyday and both were great live but my vote still goes to the Roth era. Now Hagar by himself was another story...he rocked. Same thing goes with him, Michael Anthony, Joe Satriani, and whoever the drummer is with the band Chickenfoot. That's some good stuff...

Chad Smith, The drummer from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. He is a great drummer IMO. :thmbsp:

I preferred Van Halen with Roth, he was the perfect foil to EVH's fireworks. That era of Van Halen was delightful and takes me back to happy times.

Roth. First VH cut I heard with Hagar I wondered why the beer commercial was so long... I think it was "Why Can't This Be Love". I don't dislike the Hagar stuff, but the first two VH records are smoking.

Voted Roth era not so much for Roth's voice vs. Hagar (Hagar was outstanding in Montrose!), but b/c of the quality of the songs. The early VH tunes were better. Too bad SH wasn't around to provide vocal accompaniment.

Roth, I always felt Hagar neutered the band. He seems like a pretty cool guy though, minus that whole alien abduction kick he was on.

Sorry for all the talent they were supposed to have they never amounted to more than a mediocre band IMO.And the lyrics, please.They were the type of band I would have liked in 7th grade.Sorry again guys I had to speak my peace.

I think the main reason I like it is because it came out when I was IN 7th grade :) Sometimes music just needs to be right for a place in time.

Hagar was the better singer but I like the Roth era of VH better but not necessarily because of Roth. Early VH had much more raw energy and I also prefer the early guitar work of Eddie, not to mention his early guitar tone using Marshall amps was godly compared to his later tone when he switched over to Peavey.

I voted Hagar as I see him as more professional, but it takes both as a team to make the perfect union.

Early VH with DLR. High energy and fabulously hooky tunes with seamless unique guitarwork. Great new group while it lasted.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

When they were in session, I liked both lead singers for what they added to VH.
So take 'dat.

Hagar without question IMO, as far as the music goes. VH with Roth benefited greatly in the MTV era, i.e."Hot for Teacher",:)

As for The Poll, even though it pains me to admit it, I'll cast my vote for friggin' DLR. :GRRRR:

Back
Top Bottom