needforspeed

The Spin Doctor
Subscriber
Title: Van Halen
Artist: Van Halen
Label: Warner Bros
Released: 1978 (Remastered in 2000)
Genre: Hard Rock/Metal

With the reunion tour about to kick off..Finally..Thought it might be a good time to revisit a couple of there DLR era releases. In the mid to late 70's, There were limited good Rock n Roll bands out there, And it was pretty much the same. Some blues based stuff, Based on a few 3 or 5 cord songs, With a few solo's thrown in. Deep Purple was doing there semi prog thing, Yes/Rush Were doing there thing ,Sabbith was drowning in drugs, Kiss was practically going disco. Thankfully, Something new was on the way. VH crashed the party in 78, With what is now recognized as one of the greatest Debut LP's of all time, Not to mention guitar playing the likes of which never heard before. With the laid back opening "Runnin With The Devil" to the in your face solo "Eruption", This record grabs, And doesn't let go. Throw in the Kink's "You Really Got Me" Which EVH supercharged, And one of my all time favorite VH tracks, The utterly Insane "Atomic Punk", And you have some of the best (Some say THE best) rock guitar ever put on vinyl. EVH was voted "Guitarist Of The Year" For "Van Halen" (The First Of 6), According to the book "Van Halen 101", All tracks on "Van Halen", Were done in one take, With the exception of "Eruption". Producer Ted Templeton wanted a live, Club feel to the record, Which certainly was accomplished. If the mood hits, To Rock out, And practice your air guitar licks, Or throwing a party, "Van Halen" should be at the top of the play list, No Rock collection is complete without it.

My favorite VH LP! Will never forget riding up to the house I shared with two roommates while at UF. Ben was pounding away on the drums set up in our living room while "On Fire" blared throughout the house.

Put side one on, throw a bottle of Mountain Dew in the freezer, share a couple of, uh, bowls...flip the LP and enjoy the slushy Dew and cool buzz.

As NeedForSpeed said...a rocker's must have!

My favorite VH LP! Will never forget riding up to the house I shared with two roommates while at UF. Ben was pounding away on the drums set up in our living room while "On Fire" blared throughout the house.

Put side one on, throw a bottle of Mountain Dew in the freezer, share a couple of, uh, bowls...flip the LP and enjoy the slushy Dew and cool buzz.

As NeedForSpeed said...a rocker's must have!

Ahh, Those were the days! :smoke:

NEEDFORSPEED:

Thanks for the reminder of this great album.
I was keen to understand if you had sampled the new VINYL LP reissue?
Did you sample the new LP Reissue?
If so, where is your new copy pressed?
How does it compare with the original? Or to the CD?
I'm very keen to get your take on whether it's worth the price of admission, purely from a sonics perspective.

VAN HALEN Van Halen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom