Vandersteen 2Ci recap to fix premature protect mode?

smartin53

So before I waste my time doing the work, does anyone have any thoughts on the speakers going into protect mode a bit too easily? I feel like at even reasonable levels, as soon as one rather powerful audio output occurs the LEDs light up and the speakers flip to protect mode. I don't recall this being an issue when I first got them years ago. In my research I've seen some rather drastic damage to some Vandersteen components over time being overdriven (which makes me wonder how effective the protect circuit even is). I'm not the first owner and I have no idea how hard they pushed them in the past. I feel like something might simply be worn out but since I've never heard of a correlation between protect mode and worn out crossovers I figured I'd at least ask first.

I've done some digging so I understand the headaches involved with the crossovers and Vandersteen's point that he picked specifics on purpose so stick with those. That said, I know calling them will result in the suggestion on just sending the units into them for work which I'm not up for since I can do the work myself. Of course it may be more than just capacitors as those resistors seem to take the heaviest hit so those would be repaired too.

Back
Top Bottom