Vandersteen, Bitches.

RuSsMaN

Pudknocker
Vandy's in the cave. Model 2's.

4-way design, rear firing 10" woof (26Hz-35Hz), forward firing 8" woof (35Hz-600Hz), 4" midrange (600Hz-5000Hz), 1" silk dome (5000Hz and up).

They sound great, laid back, but 'right there' at the same time. Bass is solid, and articulate. Great imaging and while not an SDA soundstage - it's pretty damn impressive.

I removed the SRS grilles, because the Vandy's are so close to the side walls, I needed to pad reflections a little.

I'll probably look at upgrading the factory stands, they are however bolted to the bottom of the speakers, very stable.

We listened to new Vandys at T.H.E Show this afternoon, I forget the model name- they sounded awesome to me, a little laid back, huge soundstage. The new ones have gone in the direction of a lot of newer speaks- pyramid shaped. I always liked the 2C's. Ya got a couple of pairs of real keepers there, Russ.

:yes:

The last real bargain in audio

They model II ces are just about the best value still out there. good luck with them gems... I love their sound.

Famous

RuSsMaN said:
Cut-away view, from Vandersteen.

I think there were more pictures of that speaker in every audio mag going than any other speaker made. . . I remember looking at the pictures and drooling. . .Still do. . . Still drool over it. . .

I have the 1c's and 2ce's and love them both. I haven't heard anything that I like better. Enjoy them!
Larry

I keep dreaming of finding a set of 5A's :)

This is the big boy of their line up

RuSsMaN said:
They sound great, laid back, but 'right there' at the same time. Bass is solid, and articulate. Great imaging and while not an SDA soundstage - it's pretty damn impressive.

I removed the SRS grilles, because the Vandy's are so close to the side walls, I needed to pad reflections a little.

I'll probably look at upgrading the factory stands, they are however bolted to the bottom of the speakers, very stable.

Mmmmmmm. That bowl full of snack tubes is making me hungry. Are those nacho or ranch 12ax7's?

What type of binding posts are on the 2CEs? Can bananas be used??

How power hungry are they?

Scott

Last edited:
here's the really painful part-- i found that set of vandy's that russ is showing off here at SA on wednesday of last week, but walked away because i was not sure of the model, make, could not figger out how to get the 'sock' grille down to look at drivers, with the SA guy standing there. so i figgered i'd go home, look 'em up on the net, and go back the next day if research panned out. $150 the pair. sent russ an email to see if he knew anything about the model, he offered to go get 'em on thursday as i was unable to, and THEY'D BEEN GRABBED! AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!

by that time, i'd seen enough on the net to know i shoulda been slapped for walking away from 'em. and who should get a call on friday morning but russ, from one of his own scroungers calling to ask if he'd like a set of vandy 2's, for considerably more than $150? and looking at the pix, i know for a fact that them there are those.

AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!! Moe, Larry, Cheese, whoooowhoooowhoooo!

shrinkboy

You're right, Toasted, they do look like a "kilroy was here" cartoon.
Their sound might make me forget the cartoonish character.

VANDY 2C's

I just sold my Vandy 2C's! I had owned and loved them for 17 years. Why did i sell them if I loved them so much? I found a bargain pair of Tannoy S-10s. If you run across another pair (C series), you shouldn't have to pull the grill to check the drivers. Just listen to them. They have no foam surrounds, all rubber. The C series midrange is a Peerless aluminum cup design. The tweeter is a Audax silk dome. The 8" woofer is a Vifa. The active coupler is a modified mass loaded model that really does not kick in till about 30 hz. All of the drivers are good for at least 20 years (from Richard's mouth). Mine were modified (by me in a fit of boredom) with a SEAS MCA11FC 4.5" treated paper cone. Gordon Waters believes it is the same driver as the earlier B series. Before I sold them I had Gordon and Pete have a listen which passed their golden eared muster. The mids are now dipole.

Back
Top Bottom