Various Artists - Blue Note: Perfect Takes

ozmoid

Lunatic Member
Various Artists
Blue Note: Perfect Takes
Blue Note
Jazz

With a stellar set of artists supplying tracks, and the original recording engineer taking care of the remaster, I thought I couldn't go wrong with this CD, and I was right.

The folks at Blue Note shipped the original lacquers to Rudy Van Gelder to remaster this collection from. The tracks are not "hits", but are takes that RVG thought were the most musically and sonically "perfect". Lifted from over a hundred albums, the 10 tracks included here feature Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, Hank Mobley, Kenny Burrell, Joe Henderson, Art Blakey, and others. My wife says the Art Blakey Moon River cut "rocks", which tickles me no end. It is a really swingin' take.

My personal favorite track is the last, Jimmy Smith performing See See Rider with Kenny Burrell. I had to look at the album cover to identify the song, they are so far removed from the Motown version I'm most familiar with. A slow, smoking, blues drag rhythm sets the stage for these guys to shine both as individuals and as a combo, passing the music around like a canteen in the desert. (This track was recorded in RVG's parent's living room, BTW, before he had a studio!)

Remastered in 2004, I might never have caught this one except that it turned up in a search for something else on yourmusic.com, and I added it to my cart as soon as I copped to what it was. The album comes with a DVD as well for yourmusic's basic $5.99 price tag.

I haven't even looked at the DVD yet, and I already feel like this is the best 6 bucks I'll spend this year.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bluenote.jpg
    bluenote.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I cannot wait to get a copy :)

Its no longer listed on yourmusic :( :( :(

Thanks, Beercan. The link works, for anyone who needs it. Since yourmusic is a sponsor here, I should have thought to link to it my self!

Hm I searched blue note and a couple of other and could not find it/

I'm ordering it today. Awesome Thanks !

Welp, my copy showed up today. Excellent music and as usual with Rudy Van Gelder recordings, wonderful audio quality. The included bonus interview DVD with Van Gelder is great too. :thmbsp:

Just ordered mine!

I do have a question, though. Apparently, the only way you can order a CD is if you set up a "subscription", and then they will charge you $5.99 a month for another CD every month, until or unless you cancel.

If you don't have any CD's listed in your "queue", they will still charge you $5.99 every month and send you nothing.

Have I got that right? Understand, there are certainly enough CD's that I can find to add to my queue, and I usually buy at least that much music a month, I just want to make sure I didn't just miss the instructions on how to order just one CD.

Yup you got it right. Just keep a CD in your queue to ensure your not billed for no CD.

Also you can order any amount of Cd's you like at any time. Ya need not wait for them to come once a month. Just add them to your cart instead of queue.

Back on the topic of perfect takes. Just got mine today and its a well made great music CD. Have not had time to watch the DVD yet. Thanks again for the tip :)

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I posted the review because I was so excited when I found the album - How often do we find an album of great music marketed SPECIFICALLY because it's a great RECORDING? :D Happy to share! I figured if it was off my radar, might be off somebody else's too...

Bumpity bump bump...

Thanks for the review on this one, just got it and I'm really enjoying it tonight!

Back
Top Bottom