Varistor DS410 - Sansui 800

stereofun

Making a part list for a Sansui 800 - on the driver board there are two varistors designated DS410

Those are new to me.

a) Are those trouble makers and should be replaced ?

b) If so, does anybody know how to decode the DS410 designation. I should mention that they measure in circuit between 9.4 - 9.8 MOhm

From what I gather, you could actually remove it and the circuit would see no difference although there would be no protection against voltage spikes, so my hunch is to leave it be, but what does the AK wisdom suggest ?

P.S on the schematic they have the same designation as a Diode, but are called a varistor in the service manual

Last edited:
There are conflicting descriptions of what these are, some say Germanium diode others say Silicon. However, I was under the impression they were fairly ordinary Silicon diodes 150V, 1 amp - certainly not Varistors.

NB: You should measure semiconductors on the 'diode test' range of your multimeter in the first instance - even 'in-circuit'. ;)

I have not heard anything which suggests these are unreliable or trouble-makers.

Last edited:
Thanks John ! Diode testing makes more sense. In the manual they are designated Varistors, but on the schematic it is the good old diode symbol. You know.....I might just leave them for now.

Back
Top Bottom