Vegetarian (or vegan) food

Max Flower

Any vegetarians on AK? Or even if you aren't, I'd be interested to know if you like any meat free meals.
I've been meat free for almost 5 years now, I haven't really ever looked back. I have some freinds who are vegetarian for ethical reasons, and I respect that, although I personally had to stay away from meat because of a psychosomatic fear of flesh.

Anyway, I thought it might be cool to have a thread for Vege recipes. I'll start with something below.

NUTRITIOUS 10 MINUTE KALE PASTA

Ingredients:

Kale (two large handfuls)
Pinenuts (3-4 Tablespoons)
Wholemeal or regular Spaghetti
Chilli Flakes (largish pinch)
Garlic (2 cloves, crushed)
Olive Oil
Parmesan
Lemon

Method:
-Get the spaghetti on the boil.
-Meanwhile, slice the Kale into thin strips.
-Toast the pinenuts in a fry pan until they're golden and smell good, then set them to the side.
-Once the fry pan is clear, heat up the olive oil with the garlic and the chilli flakes.
-Throw in the Kale and toss it about in the pan for about 5 minutes, adding a little salt part way.
-Once the pasta and the Kale are finished cooking, stir the Kale into the pasta, season with a little pepper if you want.
-Serve into bowls, top with the pinenuts and grated parmesan, and squeeze lemon juice all over.

Not a veggie (as evidenced by the pound of bbq'd t-bone I had for dinner tonite), but I know a few and cook a mean tofu spinach casserole ...

spinach-tofu-(3).jpg

Kind of a layered dinner, with brown rice simmered in cashew milk for a base, then a layer of cubed tofu mixed with a sautee of mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Top that with seasoned croutons, and of course, spinach. I also blanch spinach till it's still just a bit crunchy and serve that on the side. I also prefer mine with grated parmesan on top, but some vegans frown on that.

The rice is the tricky part. You want to precook that on the boil to where it's about half done, then let the oven do the rest. If you time it right, the rice will still be firm and have good texture when served.

Jamaican rice & peas (beans, name comes from pigeon peas, red beans are usually used)

2 cups quality white rice
1 can red kidney beans
1 onion chopped or 1 bunch scallions
chopped
Chopped red or green pepper
1 garlic clove, smashed and minced
1 tbs chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp
dried thyme
Pinch each salt and pepper
1 scotch bonnet or habanero pepper
1 can coconut milk

Drain liquid from beans. Combine bean liquid, coconut milk, and water to make 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 cups liquid. Saute onion and bell pepper in 1 tbs oil for a few minutes. Add garlic towards the end of sauteeing. Add remaining ingredients except for scotch bonnet, stir and bring to a hard simmer. Reduce heat, set scotch bonnet on top, and simmer covered 35-40 minutes. Remove scotch bonnet, let cool a bit, and serve!

All of these sound completely delicious. My partner will love these too. When I return home from my travels, I'm definitely going to try all your recipes and post my results here :)

a mean tofu spinach casserole
Right up my alley. I've never boiled rice in cashew milk before. That'd really do wonders for the flavour. Interesting!

South Indian Sambar
Very much looking forward to getting more practice with indian cuisine, I'm spoilt with a great restaurant down the street, so I don't make my own as much as I should.

Jamaican rice & peas (beans, name comes from pigeon peas, red beans are usually used)
I'll be using scallions and thyme from my garden for this one! Yum!

Jamaican steamed cabbage

1 head green cabbage chopped
1 bunch scallions chopped
1 tbs fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
1-2 garlic cloves smashed and minced
1-2 carrots grated
A few strips of red bell pepper
1/2 - 1 scotch bonnet or habanero
minced
Pinch each of salt & pepper

Saute scallions and habenero a few minutes in oil add garlic towards the end. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Cover pot. In a few minutes water will be released from cabbage and dish will steam cook. Cook to desired consitency. Serve and enjoy!

Note - Scotch bonnets are rarely available in the US. Although habanero (a close relative) may be used it is worth seeking out scotch bonnet starts from a nurery and growing your own. Or seeds may be ordered and started 4-6 weeks under flourescents before planting outside. Does very well in 5 - 7 gallon pots.

Fried plantains

Very ripe (almost completely black) plantains
Nuetral oil or coconut oil
Cinnamon (optional)

Peel plantains. Cut in half then cut lengthwise. Cook in oil medium heat a few minutes on each side til lightly brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top if desired. Serve and enjoy!

Another one of my favorites, and one of my few uses for eggplant ...

eggplant-casserole.jpg

The eggplant is rolled in flour and lightly seasoned and fried first. Saute onions, veggie burger,and green pepper until the onions are browned, then mix in the eggplant along with tomatoes and tomato sauce, and simmer for around half an hour. Test the eggplant ... it should still be fairly firm - cook it too long, and it turns to mush.

I add extra bell peppers and home canned tomatoes on top when served for texture. Primary spices are oregano and basil, with garlic added for a bit of tang.

Right up my alley. I've never boiled rice in cashew milk before. That'd really do wonders for the flavour. Interesting!

You don't boil the rice in cashew milk ... you boil in water till it's about half cooked, THEN add the cashew milk and let the oven do the rest of the work. The rice will continue to cook and absorb the nutty goodness from there. I also chop some cashews and add those to the rice before tossing it all in the oven.

PS ... that Jamaican cabbage does sounds good ... gonna have to give that a try here as well. Not sure why, but I'm thinking some raisins and soy (beansprouts maybe?) would be a nice touch as well. Those could be set up as a side and just added to a single serving first go round, just in case it all goes horribly wrong.

Last edited:
You don't boil the rice in cashew milk ... you boil in water till it's about half cooked, THEN add the cashew milk and let the oven do the rest of the work. The rice will continue to cook and absorb the nutty goodness from there. I also chop some cashews and add those to the rice before tossing it all in the oven.

This makes more sense, thanks for clarifying.

I've been a vegetarian for over 32 years now (since I was 15). My wife loves to cook, and is into watching cooking shows and searching out new recipes. I am lucky, as I would be eating angel hair, or eggs, every night, if left to my own devices. One of my favorites, that she makes, is soy meatball sandwiches. I have shared them with many a meat eater, at work, who find them unanimously delicious. She also makes a very spicy tortilla soup that I love. Soyrizo and egg burritos, jalapeno olive egg burritos, smoked gouda mac & cheese, soy meat stew, and coconut rice with tofu/green sauce and green beans are just a few of the meals that I crave on semi regular occasion. If any of these sound good, I would be happy to forward the recipes.

A true vegetarian would never eat anything comes out of a chicken's butt ... ;-}

Anybody do cauliflower soup? I start out with a basic potato soup, oven bake the cauliflower, then add that before serving. The roasting really brings out the flavor and keeps it crisp.

cauliflower-soup.jpg

Admittedly--I am a "meat-lover" (not so much red meat anymore, but a lot of chicken, fish and pork)--but I do appreciate a lot of vegetarian options. I am a big fan of the "obvious"--vegetable spring rolls/egg rolls, zucchini and eggplant parmesan, and marinated/grilled portabellas--but over the last few years I have become addicted to all sorts of varieties of bean and rice combinations--and I do like spicy foods, so experimenting with varieties of chilis keeps it interesting.

I'll just throw out some quick items--all are easy recipes to find, and then one "actual recipe" with ingredients.

Soups--cream of tomato basil--potato leek (you can sub vegetable stock for beef or chicken stock in most of these)

Lots of good quiche recipes out there

Basic tomato basil garlic olive oil bruschettas and olive tompenades

Any varieties of hummus

And here's the recipe--modify it/temper it to your taste

Vegetarian Flatbreads:

Toasted flatbread (seasoned or unseasoned)
Mayonaise (or plain yogurt)
Grated romano cheese
Roasted red peppers (plain or marinated)
Crumbled goat cheese (or feta or gorgonzola)

Cut flatbreads into pieces and place on a baking sheet to toast (a light spray of oil helps them brown)
Combine mayo or yogurt with the grated romano--add romano to the mayo or yogurt to thicken to a paste

Chop or dice roasted red peppers (again to your choice of size)

Smear toasted flatbread pieces with the romano paste mixture and top with roasted red peppers and crumbled cheese (again your choice)

Top with your choice of minced fresh herb--again--your pick

Season to your hearts content--I like fresh coarse black pepper and roasted garlic, but you can do pretty much anything with this base.

Back
Top Bottom