Vellum for Marantz Receivers

Or you can get glass paint at the craft store in blue and do the lamps. It is sold to color glass panels and works just fine. Let it dry over night before using and will last a long time.

but to really get the blue back replacing the backing on the panel seems to work the best for me.

Barney

this thread is great!
i actually went to replace the vellum on my 2245 tonight.
first of all i now HATE double sided tape haha
down side is i couldn't do the signal stregnth and fm tuning meters because i don't have a soldering iron and it seems i would have to completely remove the meters.

got the dial paper replaced and it looks a little more blue, but still not what i had imagined. it may be the bulbs or im just expecting the "led blue" look that incandecent bulbs can't supply.

anyways yeah
awesome A+ thread with great info.

I'm sorry...that stuff has been gone for ages. I've been using baking paper (bought from the local grocery) for a while now and it works just as well (maybe better).

hobby lobby has individual sheets for 50 cents or so. 1 sheet is enough to do several receivers. i bought 3 thinking i might need it in case i screwed up.

i realized several things while doing it.
1 sheet is more than enough

its not an exact science. it doesn't even need to be cut close to perfect. the meters seemed like they'd be hard but just get it a little bit close to a good fit and it will work fine.

hardest part is getting the meters out because you have to do some desoldering and soldering

Any one have any vellum paper left? I need enough to do my marantz 2275. I replaced the lamps but still has the teal look. Any vellum at a cheap price would be great.

Grocery store.
Baking isle.
Baking paper.

Different colors out there...look for white, of course.

Hey all, it's been a while. I picked up a Marantz Superscope TDR830 and it's happy blue lamps is prompting me to replace the Vellum in my 2220B. Anyone still have sheets?

The vellum in mine was replaced about 10 years ago and still looks great. I've stared at it a number of time (as well as my dad's old Pioneer SX-727) and wondered if a piece of cut-to-size duralar might be even far better. I use sheets of them for light-source diffusion while scanning slides and negatives with DSLR copy setup (another non-standard use of the stuff I'd say).
Just thought I'd throw that out there if anyone wants to give it whirl and see. It should certainly last longer than just using vellum again.
This is the type of stuff I mean: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027AAOL6/

91ZsywdvwdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I ended up finding a seller from Canada on ebay who mailed out a bunch for $7. Might be more than a roll of wax paper but less than that photo stuff. Still haven't swapped it out. I'm re-finishing my wc-22 and re-vaneering my TDR-830 8track with cherry then staining it to match my wc-22 (which was also re-veneered). It'll be a weekends worth of work. Have some wood filler also to repair some dents in the TDR-830's particle board case. I doubt it'll look perfect, but my setup is far from elite mint components.

Does anyone have a template for cutting the vellum for the tuner and meters for a 2235? I'm adding a pic of 2235 rolling KUTX while I repair the cab. Everything seems to be working, but it's still going in for a once-over and re-lamp (warm white LED). FWIW, I dig the old green-teal color that it has aged down to, and I'll preserve that if possible (keeping the original vellum, if possible) but blue will be fine too. The buttons have all been cleaned and lubed and work perfectly, pots are silent after clean/lube- I am stunned. The cherry has come back amazing dark- almost walnut. The cab project is going much better than I thought, but I have found more veneer pulling away than I initially saw. Diluting Gorilla glue with with water to float it underneath. Working really well so far. Now if I could just locate a grille...

Attachments

• 2235 and Cab on Bench.JPG
    2235 and Cab on Bench.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 29
I bought this double sided tape and it's awesome for when replacing the vellum paper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077QMLM7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also bought this tape for the 2275. It doesn't last very long. Initially it works fine, but after a week, the meter plate is getting loose and the dial pointer starting touching the plate. I did it twice and clean the plate and frame with alcohol, but it won't help. It only last for a week.

Any good double side tape to recommend? I heard that 3M is very good, but it appears too thick. The space between the dial pointer and the plate is super narrow. I don't want the dial pointer to touch the plate.

Back
Top Bottom