very good looking sx-1080 US$ 320 any good?

TBL_HK

A 2nd hand audio shop asks for this price. Worth it? I tested it and it seemed fully functional, and had been cleaned inside out..

If it was serviced it could go for that or more but somehow i doubt a second hand store did more then some windex and oil or worse yet WD-40

grumpy said:
If it was serviced it could go for that or more but somehow i doubt a second hand store did more then some windex and oil or worse yet WD-40

Grumpy is totally correct!!

I don't know of any second hand store that properly services units before they're put on sale. They're pretty much in the "turd cleaning" business and that's about it.

Last edited:
$320!!!!!!!!

Keep looking.......or offer them $200. They'll turn it down, and you can walk away and say you tried.

That's pretty much eBay prices.

I was lucky to find my SX-1080 locally for a mere $95.
In order to be able to afford my new SX-1980, I had to sell her.

Would you believe it fetched around $400 a few days ago? Unbelievable!

I am glad, because that certainly helped offset the cost of shipping the 1980!

I would try to bargain or wait until a better one comes along...

Last edited:
I have noticed that the SX-1080's are kind of far and few between on Ebay which is probably why Crooner got top dollar. They seem to be more rare than SX-1250s and 80s? They do go for a lot. I was watching 2 of them that this 1 guy had both go for over $400 here recently (they were "near mint" and might have been Crooner's). If the one your looking at is clean and works w/o any noticable glitches, I would try to offer less but $320 is realistic- IMHO anyway. ESPECIALLY if it's in excellent cosmetic cond. Personally, I think, in terms of their "real world" wattage output, that I would MUCH rather have one of them than an SX-1280 or 50- that's just me though.

Elroy is right. If you want the unit real bad and looks mint why not buy it?
You'll save on shipping which can get expensive as it weighs close to 60 pounds packed.

You can always get advice here if you run across problems. I'd be happy to help. I even have a PDF CD-ROM of the service manual.

The SX-1080 is one sweet receiver. I would say it falls in the right power bracket for most people. Lots of features too. Let me tell ya, I blew the fuse on my B&Ws more than once when crankin' her :D

But, even at lower levels she sounds very smooth and sweet. One honey of a Pioneer!

Last edited:
Crooner-

Can you advise on my bad SA-9800? No output, just hump noise at thr right channel of both h/phones and spkr outputs.

Last edited:
TBL_HK said:
Crooner-

Can you advise on my bad SA-9800? No output, just hump noise at thr right channel of both h/phones and spkr outputs.

TBL_HK, I believe your unit has pre-main jumpers in the back. If so, you may want to test each section separately. Feed a signal with it's own volume control to the power amp in jacks and see if you still have output. If so, then the problem is in the preamp section of the SA-9800. If still no output,then it's a power amplifier problem.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom