Very impressed with Allo Boss DAC with Raspberry Pi 3+, MOODE audio

Discussion in 'DACs' started by tubino, Jul 8, 2018.

1. tubino

tubino A guy with too many tubes Subscriber

I've been using this for about a week, and I'm very impressed. I'm still using the stock wallwart power supply through RPi micro-USB to power both the RPi and the Boss, but am just a couple of connectors away from a separate regulated power supply for the DAC. But as is, it's quite impressive -- and not just for the low price! In an absolute sense it's seriously good. Bass is better than I've ever had out of CDs, but the rest is better too.

I soldered the parts last night for this PCB ultra low-noise regulated supply. Hooked up a nominal 7v xformer and measured 5.00 Vdc -- alrighty then! Only then did I realize that the jumpers I had from a DIY computer project were not going to work to go from power supply board to DAC pins -- waiting now for those to arrive. I'm told the improvements are substantial.

But with a good start on a FLAC library from CDs using Exact Audio Copy, I have a lot to listen to now in my family room setup. I like this well enough to build two more for my "real" audio systems (workshop, basement mancave). Even with the dedicated power supply it's well under $200. You could spend a lot more without matching this performance. I'm not sure if there are problems with running multiple units on the same wi-fi system, but it's probably a matter of properly naming each one. Storage is cheap enough to duplicate files in different locations (backups!!!) and forget wifi streaming.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. setup1

setup1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I took a slightly different route since I already had a couple of USB DACs. But a couple of days ago I added this SPDIF HAT.
    IMG_6333.jpg
    It sounds even better even with the stock 5V/3A SMPS.

ldatlof and judsonw like this.
  3. tubino

Got the connectors yesterday to use one channel of the PCB ultra low-noise regulated supply to power the DAC -- BIG IMPROVEMENT in imaging and clarity. This setup is a winner and I'm going to do two more of them. Thanks to Larry Moore of Ultrafi for figuring this out and generously sharing it. I'll figure out how to manage putting all these parts onto a board, maybe even into an enclosure, and think about venting and switches. The Raspberry Pi puts out some heat, and so does the DAC power supply transformer. The low current draw of the DAC is not enough to cause any heating on the power supply board.

The sonic results of this are so great that I'm going to systematically copy hundreds of CDs to FLAC. I know most people did this years ago, but I needed this to get serious about everything I own.

judsonw and ldatlof like this.
  4. nerdorama

nerdorama AK member Subscriber

I'd like to know more about building a music server/DAC system around the raspberry pi and peripherals. I've never used pi computer. What do you use for a user interface? Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this. I have a really nice DAC in the Mytek Brooklyn, but win10 is giving me fits as a server.
    Thanks,
    John

5. tubino

Hi John, I'm no expert, just a new user, but maybe that perspective is useful. So the way I'm doing it is pretty simple to describe: Allo Boss DAC mounted on top of Raspberry Pi 3+, with optional regulated low-noise power supply board and transformer for DAC. RCA jacks on DAC to amp input. I plan to mount all those pieces on a board 4" wide x 12-14" deep.

The RPi has multiple USB ports, so you plug in hard drives, flash drives, SSDs, whatever. I'm using Moode Audio as the interface, and that means connecting to the music library with a local web interface via local wi-fi (URL is http://moode.local). Through the interface you use Moode to catalog the drives and then you see the music library as genre/artist/album. If you look at http://moodeaudio.org/ you can learn more about the UI. They seem to have regular releases and are up to version 4.2 now.

ldatlof likes this.
  6. tubino

Forgot to mention that I am managing Moode with an iPad. I'm pretty happy with this, though there are a couple of bugs I hope they fixed in the latest release. Will find out soon.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. E-Stat

E-Stat Addicted Member

I've enjoyed mine for more than a year now. Each device on a network can have its own name. I prefer sharing a single library along with access to Tidal for all connected music players.

Ditto. I use mine with a Music Hall DAC 25.3 and linear power supply.

[​IMG]