Very low volume in my NHT SuperSub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by jefe vt, Jan 17, 2009.

1. jefe vt

jefe vt lame generic statement

I can't seem to get any gain out of my NHT supersub. I know only having two 6.5 inch drivers, I won't get much out of it, but I think I should be getting more than I am. I have to use the Line level inputs, as the rca inputs are broken. Any ideas where to start looking would be great.

2. Radfordman

Radfordman Super Member

I know nothing about these particular subs, but I bought a sub with two 2 8" units and it had very little output at all, found that one of the speakers were wired out of phase, corrected that and it was fine

3. scoute37

scoute37 Active Member

When I ran mine through an receiver with a higher RMS output it came to life

4. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Nikki's gone to the Rainbow Bridge. Staff Member Admin Subscriber

You could start with the owner's manual, here:

http://www.nhthifi.com/current/manuals/vintage/SuperSubManual.pdf

There are different methods of connecting this sub, depending what comprises the rest of your system. Select the one that is recommended for your particular set-up.

As well, check the gain, crossover frequency, and mode. All is explained in the manual.

5. Xtinc

Xtinc Well-Known Member

Be sure to check the phase setting of your sub. Your sub and main speakers may be cancelling each other out. Sub location, room setup and type of sub will all play a part in where the phase setting should be. I also agree with the above posters, I had a pair of speakers that had dual 8" woofers and the previous owner connect them out of phase and it had almost no bass output. Reconnected them properly and the speakers had great bass output. And yes, read the manual. :)

6. redcoates7

redcoates7 still learning... Subscriber

Be careful and check the speaker outputs for correct polarity, as I'm assuming you're using the Speaker Level Inputs (not line as you stated) as the RCA inputs are broken. Since most bass is mono, you'd have mostly the same information in the L and R speaker outputs...so if one was wired in reverse phase, they would cancel each other out.

Unless someone has already been inside the sub, there's a near-zero chance that your problem is an internal wiring issue.

Also, what kind of receiver are you using this with? If it's a Home Theater receiver, you may have the front speakers set to "Small" which eliminates most of the deep bass at the A speaker outputs...so almost no output from the sub.

7. Rudefilms

Rudefilms New Member

Did you ever get this sorted out? I bought a new receiver a few years ago and my sub lost all it's umph! I have tried every frequency I could, I tried every receiver setting I could think of, I just can't get any power even my test tone is a low hum of a rumble.

Any suggestions?

Connecting my SuperSub by RCA from my Denon receiver LFE/Subwoofer/Pre-Out.

Thanks!

8. Pioneerhead

Pioneerhead New Member

Hello,
    My SuperSub no longer have any sound coming out (there is power). I opened it up and can only see this resistor as going bad. Can anyone tell me the resistor value or have a schematic i can reference? I need to replace this bad resistor. Not sure if it will repair my issue but worth a try. I don't have a way to include pictures (Photobucket wanted to charge me $399/yr to use their site to upload pics and share to third party sites) but the resistor is R40 adjacent to C21 capacitor. Much thanks. SuperSub Resistor.jpg