Victor SX5 speakers.

lordfoo

I found a pair of Victor SX5's yesterday. I tried to lift a box up -it was Heavy. I checked out the cabinet - Nice wood with nice grain. I checked out the drivers, they looked original. The screws did not seem tampered with.

The SX5 is a three way bookshelf
(there's an SX3, SX7 and an SX9 model in this series.)

sx-5.JPG

I wondered if the sx5 is better than the sx3 of which i have three pairs.
They really looked like big and small brothers. I guess curiosity got the better of me and asked the technicians to hook up the sx5's. They used Yamaha A6 amp. Open air auditioning of speakers is not really accurate and chancy at best. However, its better than not hearing the speakers and just relying on visuals. heheh. The speakers belched out good solid highs, mids and bass.

So i came home with a new pair of old speakers that i don't need and are not top of the line although i have vowed to avoid buying 2nd raters and un-needed speakers.

Two hours ago, I hooked em up with the pioneer sa9900 i also acquired recently. Source is a DUAL turntable and some LPs from a Box of Reader's Digest LP's i also picked up yesterday. I'm still listening to thee right now.:music:

http://audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/Speaker/sx-5.html

The Victor SX3.
PC270001.JPG

http://audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/Speaker/sx-3.html

Have a nice weekend everyone!!!

FYI, in the US, the brand was marketed as JVC (Japanese Victor Corp.), also known as NiViCo (Nippon Victor Co., I presume) and (I think) Delmonico.

They clearly made, and sold, some nice speakers, but generally they were not found in the US. The SX3s show up in a 1977 US JVC brochure I have, but only in a room photo; no speakers in the brochure were listed as products.

Nice find. I found a pair of SX 3's in Madison years ago - one in the blond finish and one in walnut. Even though they don't match, I'll probably never get rid of them as they are a great two way speaker. Hope you enjoy the 5's.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom