Victrola 45 tubes

Wildcat

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Admin
Subscriber
I am aiming to restore my Victrola 45 in the coming months. This was the little 45RPM record player sold by RCA. My model is the 45-EY-3, which has the art deco look to it with a lid. Neat unit to work on, and parts seem readily available.

I only wonder how the tubes are holding up--they are not common, from what I've seen. They are a 6SQ7 and a 25L6GT. The amp does make a weak sound, but the caps are shot--the entire amp needs a rebuild. Should I budget for some NOS tubes here? I don't know how hard these were ever used in their day, and only know one person who has a tube tester (and I'd have to mail them out to him, provided his tester can accomodate these).

Not much of a budget required, as those tubes are readily available, NOS, at $7-8 each.

Could be worse. Could be something everyone seeks, and for which they will pay large money.

The 25L6 and 6SQ7 were used in many radios produced from around 1939 or40 through the mid 1950's so they are in good supply for a decent price from most of the tube suppliers for a few bucks each. If you need your tubes tested, check for an antique radio club in your area as just about anyone that works on old radios and audio equipment has at least one tube tester that can test your tubes. More likely than not, your tubes are still useable but the caps, resistors and the crystal phono cartridge are in need of service.

What the other guys said... those are common as dirt radio tubes.

Check out www.thevoiceofmusic.com for replacement cartridges and rubber parts (idler and cam tire, plus new motor mounts)

Weak sound is likely related to crystal cartridge.. they're all dead by now

The cartridge has a replacement kit available (from VOM, along with the rubber parts), so I'm good there.

I may just order up the tubes when I get to that point, and keep the old ones as spares. Since they are not too uncommon, I won't worry about supply.

The cartridge has a replacement kit available (from VOM, along with the rubber parts), so I'm good there.

I may just order up the tubes when I get to that point, and keep the old ones as spares. Since they are not too uncommon, I won't worry about supply.

The 6SQ7 was used in almost every transformer powered radio made in the USA and Canada from the late 30s up to the early 50s. There were made by the millions, and lots still exist. The 25L6, again, was in millions of radios and phonographs. Neither tube has anything about it which makes people from Japan or rich guitar players want to buy them all up and sell them back to you for hundreds of dollars a piece :)

I have seen RCA-branded tubes for not much cash on eBay. That would really keep it genuine. :D

I wanted to replace the speaker in this thing with a 3.5" car audio speaker, but unfortunately the amplifier chassis has a "V" shaped into it that prevents using anything with a larger magnet. But, I may wire up a stealth external speaker output just for kicks.

I have seen RCA-branded tubes for not much cash on eBay. That would really keep it genuine. :D

I wanted to replace the speaker in this thing with a 3.5" car audio speaker, but unfortunately the amplifier chassis has a "V" shaped into it that prevents using anything with a larger magnet. But, I may wire up a stealth external speaker output just for kicks.

It will probably sound better with the original speaker anyway. The sensitive speakers with rolled off lows and highs is well matched to the low powered amp and rumble prone turntable.

And the original speaker will have a super high Q which will give an impression of bass with basically no enclosure. Better enjoy it for what it is than try and make it better, those old rca guys knew what they were doing!

Back
Top Bottom