1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Video ads autoplaying?

Discussion in 'AK News' started by Sam Cogley, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

I've turned off adblocker to support the site, but this is a nuisance. They seem to have only appeared this morning.

2. Wildcat

Wildcat ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Subscriber

I'm not knocking AK since they are likely at the mercy of whatever the ad networks send their way. I would even bet there is a setting which would allow them to turn those off.

But, I will say that elsewhere on the Internetz, I'm strongly opposed to any video ads, especially if they auto-play. It is not so much for the nuisance factor (which they are--I don't need an ad blaring at me full blast when everyone else in the house is sleeping). The advertisers, and the corporate site owners that use them, are being disrespectful to anyone who visits a site on a mobile device. Why should I pay, and/or eat up my billable bandwidth, to serve their advertising? Text ads with a small image can use very little bandwidth; video in any form eats up a lot. And I can say from experience that even if sites claim to detect mobile devices, they fail to do so, most of the time.

I'm just waiting for a class action to go after those sites and the advertisers. I see it the same as fax machine spam--advertisers are pushing the cost burden of delivering the video ads onto the unfortunate end user. With fax machines, it was due to the supplies used (the paper, the toner, etc.); with mobile data, it's the bandwidth being eaten up that visitors have to pay for.

sqlsavior and Sam Cogley like this.
  3. stereofanboy

stereofanboy Addicted Member

I make it a policy to never do business with a company whose advertising efforts have seriously irritated or inconvenienced me. If enough people saw things my way, that shit would stop.

4. loopstick

loopstick AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't mind the little ads that pop-up inside a video for a few seconds. That's how YouTube makes money and more power to them - they provide a great service. The reason a lot of great copyrighted material is available on YouTube is the copyright owners get to monetize the videos and make money off of them. It's all legal and good. OTOH I HATE pre-roll ads and leave the site immediately then come right back and they usually skip the pre-roll and get right to the video. I have AdBlock but I can still see all the AK banner ads and that's cool. If I go to a site (news media sites usually) and they tell me I must turn off AdBlock I'm like sayonara - I'll go somewhere else.

5. Sam Cogley

That's what was happening yesterday - unstoppable video ads were popping up in the banners. Since the whole thing wasn't being displayed, and they're gone now, it must have been some sort of a glitch.

6. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

I seem to have discovered ad-blocker just in time for many sites to start thwarting it. They'll never get my views. Buh-bye!

7. Dude111

Dude111 Analogue is Awesome

Yes well remember most of these sites JUST SERVE ADs,they do not have control what comes in!!!!!

Most admins I know DO NOT LIKE AUDIO/VIDEO ads either and will block the ad from appearing IF ITS REPORTED to them.....

Its not easy to control what comes in but if you are made aware of it,they can be blocked.....

8. Sam Cogley

They're baaaaaaaack.

9. jblnut

jblnut Don't Overthink It Subscriber

Very distracting and annoying...just started seeing them today. Any way to get them to stop ?

jblnut

10. Sam Cogley

Happened again a few minutes ago.

11. Dude111

Dude111 Analogue is Awesome

Please report the ads here (The URL or the basic ad content) and Im sure either Luther or Dave will try and block them :)

12. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Nothing untoward seen here. :)

13. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

Sadly, I need the URL's to block them. Thanks

Grumpy

Dude111 likes this.
  14. Beatnik

Beatnik What's this ?

15. RDecartridge

RDecartridge "I hear, therefore I am" Subscriber

16. avionic

avionic " Black Knights" Subscriber

Extremely bad today...

17. loopstick

loopstick AK Subscriber Subscriber

OK - I misunderstood the OP. I thought it was about ads popping up in embedded videos that AK'ers post - usually in the Music forum. You're talking about ads (video) that autoplay when you land on the AK site. I have not experienced that - maybe cuz I use AdBlock. I still see the animated "banner" ads that look like little movie theater marquees.

IFAIK most ad blocking is directed at known ad servers - it doesn't attack ads that "belong" to the site - so if sites would just spread tasteful non-annoying "local-sourced" ads around their pages like print newspapers did there probably wouldn't be this contest between ad servers and ad blockers - IMHO. In fact when I had dial-up I used to watch the downloading in the status bar so I could block ad URL's myself - and IIRC the AK banner stuff comes from right within the AK domain. Therefore AdBlock is not wired to block AK banner ads - which is a good thing. :thumbsup:

18. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

For the last couple of days, I have been getting the audio portion ONLY of ads on this forum, seems to be when my cursor is anywhere in the middle of the page being viewed. Anybody else getting this ?

19. Sam Cogley

I turned off AdBlock for AK so they could get the page view revenue for the server project. The video ads in question pop up in the banner ads at the top and bottom of the pages. They're not formatted to fit a banner, so it's some sort of failure at the company that maintains and updates the banners.

20. avionic

avionic " Black Knights" Subscriber

They are terrible at this end. Page keeps shifting from top of page to bottom of the page-- up and down. Really bad..