Video Advertisements on AK.

62caddy

Trust but verify
Subscriber
Can anything be done to stop these videos? They appear either on the top, bottom of the page or both and are really wreaking havoc on my machine - causing delayed action on keystrokes, scrolling and pretty much all commands in general.

Very irritating.

While I haven't notice a slow down to my computer I have noticed the vids. The site response lately has been slow at times and don't know if it's these new adds.

What I do know is it reminds me of news links to news sites, and think of, "is it going to happen here?".

You know, most news sites you can't even read what you went to see without a 5 minute load time, 10 popups to dismiss first, vids turning on automatically blasting at you without you doing anything. On top of that you try to read a little strip of writing while the other 85% of the page is flashing at you.

And yes this type of page severely slows down mobile devices and weaker computers.

Is that what AK is going to do to provide FREE membership?

Newspaper sites are the by far the worst.

At least one site I know of states removal of ads (for rapid browsing) for subscribers.

Newspaper sites are the by far the worst.

At least one site I know of states removal of ads (for rapid browsing) for subscribers.
Funny thing today the site is not responding well at all. I am also starting to get jumps to the adds, in ways it never did before. Like, refresh a page, an alert link for quote or like will pop to the add instead of the quote.

It is annoying and seems like a recent change. Today I noticed that if I drill down on a thread and start reading it - after a few seconds my browser will automaddingly scroll to the bottom for the vid. It just did as I was typing this. This is something new for sure as I haven't noticed it before.

screenshot 26Dec16.png I use Adblock Plus (Chrome browser) -- no annoying stuff to be found at AK (other than the content of many of the threads*, of course).

Squinting at the screenshot above will show that ABP has blocked four items on this page.
AK's not the worst offender, but it's not the cleanest, either.

----------
* not this thread, of course! :)

Last edited:
Can someone post a known trustworthy link for AdBlocker for Firefox w/Windows7? A number of options came up and I'm not sure which is okay to use.

Thanks kindly.

The site is getting very very slow for me, I hate that. I buy high speed computers and have really good internet speeds, but what's up with this site lately. Come - on

Another addon for Firefox that stops unwanted scripts from running is - wait for it - "NoScript". It's a bit of a hassle to train it properly, but I've used for years.

Cheers,
Larry B.

I had been been having the same problem with banner ads on this sight as well.Some ad(s) are not loading and not letting me enter any keystrokes until I close the
ad. Now when I see an ad with the spinning thing I just close it out immediately.

I had that happening on the weekend asterion, but it seemed to go away on its own. Although I'm at a different computer now that ad-blocks so I'll have to look at home later.

Back
Top Bottom