Vietnam War, Ken Burns, Lynn Novick

I was just scanning thru episode #9 on pbs.org and found my buddy Ron Ferrizzi at the 32:30 mark and then again the full video of him throwing his medals over the wall in DC at 38:50.

Request- He is also in another segment about the Protests and Rioting back home talking about seeing a guy who looked like his father (a Philly Cop) beating on a guy that looked like himself.
Can anyone tell me what episode that was in and the time mark if possible? Thanks.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a "front line Viet Nam vet". The was no front line. Period. I spent time in the rear as a battalion photographer after my knee was destroyed when I was hit by the shock wave of an F4 at about Mach 1.5 at 30 feet of altitude. Even in the rear in Nha Trang my hooch was 30' from the start of "Indian country", as we called it then. We took a lot of sniper fire and mortar rounds there, almost as much as I experienced in the boonies. The complete randomness of sniper fire EVERYWHERE is why Viet vets suffered more mental problems than WWII vets. In WWII there were places that were actually safe. Pretty much anywhere away from the front. I never had a safe minute the entire time I was in Nam.

Westmoreland was pretty safe, though. He spent the war playing tennis in Saigon and writing sitreps for LBJ that were nothing but lies.
Prehaps I should have been more clear these were Vet’s who made up their Vietnam service a total fabrication, claiming to have been in combat, While they spent there deployment outside of Vietnam, or if they where in country made up their story.

I remember a story told to me by one of those Marines I talked about up thread. My Dad was on his way to Vietnam on a refrigerator ship. This would have been 1968. He told me they where in barracks, I can’t remember where, but he told me they where playing cards when the alarms sounded off for a Katyusha rocket attack. They where used to this so they didn’t pay any attention. There was a crash they looked up and rocket crashed through the wall slid across the floor through another wall into the head. Obviously it didn’t explode. They they ran into the next room where the found a person they had talked to 10 minutes before who was in the shower. The rocket had speared him to the wall and he was of course dead. I was 15 at the time. It is these experiences that make so angry at the Vietnam War scammers. When I see a down and out homeless Vet I carry contact cards they can take to the Cheyenne VA to at least get a free meal, and they can talk to people who standby to help them in the Homeless Vet program.

Last edited:
As a kid - I came at the Vietnam war from a odd angle - had started reading the library's copies of the marine Corp. Gazette at age 10.From there went on to follow up with the sources quoted in that mag on "guerilla warfare". Result was by 1966 I was not convinced -but was draft able -so found myself on a bus with a bunch of other ROTC cadets while going to college. It seemed pretty darn obvious to me that our odds of spending time in S.Vietnam were pretty good (or was it bad?). What struck me was the lack of knowledge or interest in Viet-Nam on that bus - the Army would tell them what they needed to know ? Having achieved the second lowest GPA of anyone I knew - got a notice for a draft physical about six weeks after Tet -went- and was one of 2 guys out of a bus with 34 young guys in it -who got a ride back home? What i found odd about this is I'd had the same physical from the NROTC ,and Army ROTC before being allowed to apply for those programs and passed ? A couple of years latter stumbled onto a stat that just might explain this : Junior officers (the first two officer grades -2nd. and first lieutenants in the army or Marine Corp.) and senior enlisted personnel ( E-5 on up) -were 14 times more likely to be killed or wounded in combat than a PFC. Reasons were obvious.Wonder if they needed starter officers bad enough to have lower physical standards for them ? I'd been politically active before I'd gotten my notice - once I flunked my draft physical - felt I owed it to those 32 other guys to end that war. I knew a wide range of folks who opposed the war - incl. people who did time in prison for their beliefs - NONE of these folks would have spit on or verbally abused a vet - not saying it didn't happen -just that it sure wasn't a common occurrence . When I asked the first Marine i ran into ( wounded twice in 'Nam -second time very nearly killed when he fell into a punji pit) what it had been like -his comment was "aww -it's all f%^&*d up". The life long pain of loosing folks you trust and respect to a degree that none of us who haven't fought can begin to appreciate - to a policy mistake ! I'm not a pacifist -but any politician who wants to send folks to kill, fight and die in my name better have a damm good truthful argument in favor of that decision . I agree some of the footage is out of sync timewise - but Burns and Novak have brought up some stuff that i sure didn't know ( I'm always surprised that much as I despised tricky Dick at the time - there's always something new to learn about the man and reduce my already low opinion of him. ). To those who served - you have our respect . We should learn from history.

Danang air base wasn't bad at all. As long as you didn't get rocketed. I was out where the rockets came from.
I was there last year. They've left a single chopper hanger intact as a war memorial. The rest of the base and 10 miles of coastline is all condos.

That hanger is the only piece of US war infrastructure that I saw anywhere in the South. There's not a trace left of Camp McDermott in Nha Trang. There must have been 15,000 troops there in '68..

PTSD is a part of my makeup, albeit from other sources. I turned my angst to various directions, relating to making others safe in unsafe environments. I am still able to size up the folks in a room rather quickly, and anticipate interpersonal issues successfully. Just don't rack a weapon behind me, or fire one, without warning and we'll be fine. The folks at the range I frequent know this, and kindly accommodate me.

Rich P

I still always find myself sitting where I can watch the door in restaurants and bars 50 years later. It's an unconscious reflex.

I have come some distance, especially since giving my life to the Holy One. I continue to have a particular affinity for S.E. Asian food.

One of my very best friends in this world, and his wife, are refugees from Laos, via Thailand. In fact , I just started a pot of bones and tendons, destined to be the base for a nice pot of Pho (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup) to share with them tomorrow evening. It is a festival in a bowl and will take around 20 hours to get it up to speed for serving. Tomorrow, I will add the ox tails, brisket, tripe, beef balls, spices, noodles and special serving items (thin sliced ribeye, bean sprouts, sliced jalapenos, and various condiments, leaves, etc.).

Ek's taste sensibilities are finely tuned. He has never had my Pho before, but his contributions over the years have lead me to my current recipe. We have been friends since 1980. I have been to his home many times for Pho. Now it is my turn. Everything will be from scratch, and NO MSG. It will not need it.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
I recommend the explicit language version. Not gratuitous, does it justice..

Last edited:
Awesome, Thank you much. I am keeping track of all the spots Ron has thru the series.

Tonight's episode is another powerful one and I can remember being 10 years old and seeing the News Clips of the medal chucking in DC.

Last night with the Me Lai massacre and the Kent State massacre was particularly gut wrenching.

It's been interesting to say the least. As I sit and watch, reminiscing about the past it's almost a shame how my life went on back in those years completely tuned out to world affairs.

I consider him to be the worst US General since Custer.
I actually personally met Westmoreland. Even though I was never in theater I hated this political General because of the friends I had who didn’t come home. One of them did but he was so badly mutilated and changed that it took me a year to recognize who He was. All this was running through My Head when I shook his hand at a political rally. I was there for free eats.

I'm not a Ken Burns fan. He's a great filmmaker, always delivering strong visuals, sound, narration — not a great historian. But the emotional impact this series has on me precludes judging it as history. It seems accurate but I cannot watch objectively. It had me gripped the first few episodes, couldn't look away — I was hypnotized, as if by a cobra, watching the odious Madame Nhu, remembering when I protested her appearance at Columbia University while she was offering to give those martyred Buddhist monks matches and petrol.

The emotional impact also means I can't watch it anymore. Too much pain, too much rage. I should watch, I'd call it a moral obligation — and maybe I will, later online, in small chunks I can handle better...

I observed that about 1/3 of the troops were potheads like me,

Most of the stories I got from my uncle were involving "trips into town", buying large quantities of pot and mushrooms, partying all day and selling what remained on base for what they paid for the whole lot of stuff. Thats the stuff he'd talk about, very rarely would he open up about any of the rest of it.

There where the real front line Veterans, then there where the fakes.

I actually remember asking my uncle one time about whether he happened to have served with a particular person. The response? "He flew a f***ing desk." That was it, and his meaning was more than clear on the subject.

This series is bringing back serious memories and ripping my guts out.. I hurt so much. I will survive, but wounds do not heal with time. The world is fillled with monsters and heroes. Screw those who seek to capitalize on our pain. So much suffering. I am alive. I promised to make a difference. But it hurts so much...

I have tried so hard not to remember...I renew my promise. Creator, my life is yours to do with as you please...

Rich P

P.s. My beloved bride is asleep. Otherwise I would have to explain why my face is so wet. I'm not sure I could do it. Creator, we need you now, as always...

Last edited:
Ditto....

I was twelve in '67 fully aware of what was going on and saw vets flipping out after coming home. Just the result of European countries trying to colonize Asia. One form of cruelty begets another at a later time and the world keeps burning.....

Back
Top Bottom