vincei's tube system

vincei

aka MasterControlMedia
May as well post my tube system. :D

The audio chain is:

Music server playing WAV files into an Auzentech sound card w/OPA627 opamps. Custom cables then feed my home built 300B SET using fixed bias and Mundorf silver oil coupling caps. The amp is an all film cap design with minimal parts count. From there, the power is fed to Magnepan MG-10QR, yes Maggies with a SET! For the low end I use an Athena Sub, which should be swapped for something better eventually. Sound is rich and clean, with lots of detail and resolution, it's loud enough for my needs as it's a small room. :music: You can view higher res pics from the link in my sig below...

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 300B1.jpg
    300B1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 300B2.jpg
    300B2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 115
  • server.jpg
    server.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 104
  • plugs.jpg
    plugs.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_3675b.jpg
    DSC_3675b.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Nice looking set up vincei!

Enjoyed all the Sony pics too! You are certainly THE ES man!

I'm glad to see that amp is still right where it belongs! Man, that is a thing of beauty.

I'm glad to see that amp is still right where it belongs! Man, that is a thing of beauty.

Yeah, it was touch and go there for a while, but it's still here. Actually, your gorgeous projects partly inspired this build, so a compliment from you is a an honor! :yes:

Nice stuff, gorgeous amp!
Very curious about your experience with the Auzentec (performance, stability), looking for PCI soundcards at the moment. :)

Last edited:
Nice stuff, gorgeous amp!
Very curious about your experience with the Auzentec (performance, stability), looking for PCI soundcards at the moment. :)

The card has performed well. I mainly bought it for the swappable opamps. The headphone out is very good as it has it's own 24/192 DA converter and all outputs have Nichicon ES bipolar coupling caps. I have the Bravura model.

Tidy! What is your impression of the MG10 vs MG 1.6?

I never heard the 1.6, but it looks like the bass response is better than the MG-10. I would love to get some 1.6's as an upgrade some day. Right now I may just upgrade he crossovers on my 10's and see how that goes. :music:

I never heard the 1.6, but it looks like the bass response is better than the MG-10. I would love to get some 1.6's as an upgrade some day. Right now I may just upgrade he crossovers on my 10's and see how that goes. :music:

Thanks.. Just wondering as I had auditioned the 1.6's in the showroom, but due to it's size, I took home a pair of MG12's and have regretted it.

Very nice clean setup. Is that red carpet? I really like the look of that against all the black and chrome.

That amp is gorgeous. :drool: Is there a thread on it anywhere?

Yes there is! It's outdated as far as final arrangement of wiring, so I updated the wiring photo with the latest version (MKII) in the photos I posted in this thread. Quite the change from MKI version! I'm still trying to figure how to mount the digital bias meters without making a mess. :scratch2:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=295110

Awesome system!

Although it might be a case of apples vs oranges, how do you find the current system vs the Sony ES stack you used to have?

az

Awesome system!

Although it might be a case of apples vs oranges, how do you find the current system vs the Sony ES stack you used to have?

az

It's quite hard to compare as one is very powerful solid state and the other low wattage tubes, but I did enjoy both. I don't know if I could live without either one, but right now the tubes are the main system, it provides a very smooth and rich sound, where as the SS ES system, dynamic and effortless, so 2 different qualities.

Back
Top Bottom