1. Work behind the scenes continues. AK may go offline again for additional database and or Xenforo fixes.
    Dismiss Notice

Vincent SV-236!

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by Guest108, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Guest108

Guest108 Active Member

Hey guys, I just acquired one of these amps two days ago. So far it's been amazing, super responsive to tubes in the preamp stage (2 preamps, 1 phase splitter), articulate and great power. Can we start an owners thread? I'd love to hear what people are doing with it. Anyone here have one?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mjw21a

mjw21a Super Member

Hmmm, I've wanted one of these for a few years now

3. GP Hill

GP Hill AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the SV-237 and you are right, it is amazing. Right now I have a Mullard re-issue of the 12AX7 and the 6N1p' are some Russian one's I got from Eastern Europe. To me it sound lush and at the same time detailed and accurate. I think it's was money well spent. I really like the idea of the tubes in the preamp section and SS in the power amp section. Slippers On, who posts frequently is a big fan of Vincent, has the separates, and was one of the reasons I bought my Vincent.

4. mjw21a

mjw21a Super Member

I have a dream, where this sort of sound quality is a baseline in equipment sold as "Hi-Fi" What a shame that it will remain a dream from here to eternity

5. livestrong

livestrong Well-Known Member

There are a few Vincent fans here! You can include me - I've owned quite a few Vincent pieces over the past 5 years or so. The SV-236MK has been the longest standing piece and I've helped several local guys get one as well. Here are a couple of recent shots of the Vincent in action...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wasatch, Art K. and mjw21a like this.
  6. royzilla

royzilla AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, I can say it responds fantastically to tube rolling. I've had NOS Tung-Sols, Bugle Boys, Sovteks, Gold Lions, ribbed and smooth plate Telefunkens and you CAN hear the difference each tube makes. Same for the splitter, I settled for a Gold Lion in the splitter with the Telefunkens in the preamp section. It sounds epic through my Aerial Acoustics 7b's.

livestrong and GP Hill like this.

7. Zingem

Zingem Active Member

Hi Guys,
    Nice systems you have there!
    I had this amp on my radar for some time. Recently I went for another Hybrid instead, a Magnat RV.3. Also very recommandabel. But Vincent does produce interesting stuff!

8. Wasatch

Wasatch Well-Known Member

I always wanted to get a chance to listen to some of this gear, I like the look.

9. Wasatch

Very nice looking.

10. mjw21a

mjw21a Super Member

I used to have this one on my radar but have since acquired a Yaqin MC10T push pull tube amp for my main living room system, a Nobsound MS-13B Hybrid Valve Amp for my gaming computer and a vintage STC tube console for downstairs. The STC is where most of my efforts now go in restoring it. Both my other amps sound fantastic for what they're used for. I think I'm done with equipment purchases for many years to come.

Wasatch likes this.
  11. Wasatch

Good for you.

12. RemoWilliams

RemoWilliams New Member

Since I also own a Vincent SV 236 MK you can add another - in my case I finally settled on a combination of a Ten Kobe 12AX7 in the single driver position and a pair of Tungsram ECC83s for the left/right channels, mid '60's vintage. The Ten Kobe is a very neutral sounding tube that enhances the sonics of the other two tubes and the characteristics work very well together in a modern design like the Vincent.I had some great advice and help from a very knowledgeable individual who prevented me from spending much more money on tubes that would not have been nearly as coherent and musical - at least in the Vincent.

If you can locate them they are well worth it - I have a NOS Ten Kobe spare I am holding onto and not certain of the date but I assume 1960's. The Tungsrams up to the early '70's are the ones to get, earlier in the 1960's even better. A 1960's 12AX7 NEC in the driver position is also a good neutral tube as the Ten Kobe are rather uncommon but if you can find one it is the better tube. Other contenders I have not heard yet but would be worth looking into for the left/right channels are Mazda ( 1950"s ) CF Thomson ( 1950's ) - I have a list somewhere I will post here but most of the really good tubes are not mainstream choices but they are well worth finding.

Needless to say I have been enjoying my Vincent since purchasing it in 2013 new, it was discounted at the time as in retrospect the SV 237 was just around the corner. I actually prefer the ability to roll tubes in the 236 even though the 237 is supposedly an improvement but it is all subjective.

SpicySammich likes this.
  13. GP Hill

GP Hill AK Subscriber Subscriber

On another note I just started streaming Tidal hi res music through the DAC on my SV-237 and it's really sounding nice.

14. Dave59

Dave59 Well-Known Member

Had my 236 for 5 years, haven’t changed the tubes and it sounds great, suspect that I would probably have spend considerably more to get better. About the only thing I don’t like is the remote volume control which is a little over enthusiastic making it hard to hit the right level

15. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I considered the 237, despite it having tubes - love the sound of tube amps, especially tube preamps - but I run my amp so many hours per day that it has a detrimental impact on tube life, as far as the frequency of replacement goes. I simply use up tubes too fast. Ended up ordering the Levinson. Never had the opportunity to hear any Vincent products, but they certainly look competent, and the prices seem reasonable. I encourage you guys to move to Oklahoma, into my neighborhood so I can listen with you. I need an audio buddy close by, and it's little enough a favor to ask. :)

16. Dave59

Dave59 Well-Known Member

Auditioned the Moon 240i and the McIntosh MA5200 integrated amplifiers today at a local dealer, playing through some Proac floorstanders. Both are very accomplished, nice stereo images, good well balanced sound, but I wasn’t persuaded that either represented any sort of step up from the Vincent 236. Maybe l’m just used to the sound of the Vincent.

17. sanford12

sanford12 Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff Subscriber

My brother has a Vincent and loves it. Talked him into getting some Telefunkens and Bugle Boys to roll in and the difference over the Chinese 12AX7's surprised him. Well that sparked an interest in tubes and now he's gone down that rabbit hole. He's got a 2 system house now.

18. sbrownnw

sbrownnw New Member

Looking for a Vincent SV with 6 analog inputs (226, 226MK, 236) if anyone has or knows of one...