Vincent SV-237 Your Thoughts Plus A Couple Of Questions

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by Iceman32, Dec 30, 2014.

1. sbrownnw

sbrownnw New Member

Great thread here. I currently run Audio Refinement (YBA) separates and would really like to try any of the Vincent SV amps with 6 analog inputs (226, 226MK, 236) as I need that many for my 2 channel AV system. Anyone know of one of these rare beasts for sale? Here is a current pict of my system, which includes a modified Rega RP6 (GT ref subplatter and AT-33PTG/II low MC), ProAc Studio 148s and Mogami / KLEI wire.

system.jpg

2. sbrownnw

sbrownnw New Member

That noise is usually called / caused by "tube rush". Tube rush (noise) is a fact of life with tubes, no matter what brand or model. Some are noisier than others, others quieter, but unless you hand select the absolutely quietest tubes from batches in he thousands an fine tune the surrounding circuit with the absolutely quietest surrounding components, you will pretty much always hear a bit of tube rush with your ear within a couple of inches from the speakers, especially the more sensitive ones.

3. AΩmega

AΩmega New Member

My sv-237mk is super quiet. I rolled the 12ax7 to Bugle Boy made in Germany in 1956 similar to this: and sounds amazing. No tube rolling ever made a difference in the noise you're talking about.

Just re-read that post... I get very low noise if you crank the volume way up. But you still have to put your ear to the speaker. I have the stock Russian 6n1p-ev tubes and and rolled the 12ax7.

Here’s a thread I saw on tube hiss:
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32249

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018