Vintage (1966) car ad....GTO vs. Ford Fairlaine GT vs. 396 Chevelle

Dressed her in red and put here in a tomato cage no less. Nice!

The Chevelle's exhaust at 6:35 looks a bit wonky.

"We have thousands like her all around the country", or words to that effect...

Political correctness was not an issue, apparently..

The 390 Ford was no match for the 396 and Ford knew it back then. One of the main reasons Mustang became available with the 428CJ in 68 1/2. They were tired of all the other car makers beating their 390 like a drum. :p

The 390 Ford was no match for the 396 and Ford knew it back then. One of the main reasons Mustang became available with the 428CJ in 68 1/2. They were tired of all the other car makers beating their 390 like a drum. :p

But if you wanted an automatic Chevy only had the Powerglide with two speeds, Ford had the C6 with three speeds. Ford wins there.

Fun video! That was filmed only a 1/2 mile away from me at the now defunct GM Proving Grounds here in Mesa.

But if you wanted an automatic Chevy only had the Powerglide with two speeds, Ford had the C6 with three speeds. Ford wins there.
That changed in 67 when GM came out with the T-400, argueably the best HP auto trans ever made. They have been put behind almost everything including Rolls Royce. ;)

I'd rather have the Chrysler (or is it a DeSoto? )convertible..... well...... one in better shape anyway !!

Great video ! Thanks for posting !!

If only Ford offered "straddle bucket seats." Of course the 427 powered Fairlane wouldn't have been a fair to the competition. Would've stopped quicker too. Kelsey Hayes disks vs drum on the GMs. Could be wrong. Sold all my 60s pony cars before turning 40 and I don't care about this sheet anymore...Wait why am I posting about old cars...Crap!
IMG_0589.JPG

I'd rather have the Chrysler (or is it a DeSoto? )convertible..... well...... one in better shape anyway !!

Great video ! Thanks for posting !!
Yeah, I also think that was a DeSoto....they were almost as big as aircraft carriers back in those days ! :)
(When I was a dumb kid, one of my first projects was installing a 331 c.i. DeSoto Hemi into a `55 Plymouth Savoy, along with one of those PowerFlite (?) autos that Chrysler used back then.Also the DeSoto`s radiator, which had a 4-inch thick core....beauty !)

I knew that a Chevelle was made with a 375 hp 396 but did that video say 360 hp?

Yes the 375 hp would mop up a 325 hp 390 but I don't think a great number of the 375 hp engines were made. If my memory serves me right I'm thinking that the 325 hp 396 ran times close to the 325 hp 390.

I knew that a Chevelle was made with a 375 hp 396 but did that video say 360 hp?

Yes the 375 hp would mop up a 325 hp 390 but I don't think a great number of the 375 hp engines were made. If my memory serves me right I'm thinking that the 325 hp 396 ran times close to the 325 hp 390.
Regular production was either 325 or 360 hp. The 375 was a special order.

Back
Top Bottom