Vintage Affordable Headphones

Angry Possum

Im looking to purchase a pair of used Vintage 1/4 headphones for my stereo. Im Looking to spend 40 bucks or less. I know, im being cheap. Any suggestions. I looked at The Koss K6s for about 22 bucks. I may score them since koss is a decent brand I assume. Again,,, any suggestions please.

Make me a happy possum again.....

I have AKG K-240 Monitors, (Austrian Made). Not good for a laptop though, they are 600 ohm. May be able to locate in your price range. They put my Koss Pro 4AAA to shame.

I cannot use the adapter that I tried with a newer set of headfones. It didn't work for me. So I would need a straight 1/4 Jack. My old onkyo receiver only takes 1/4 plug. When I use the adapter from 1/8 step up to 1/4, I can still hear my stereo. So the adapters are no good in my stereo.

Last edited:
Note: My AKG's have the 1/4" jack, I use an adapter for the laptop. Not much volume with my laptop, but fine for my AMP.

I believe you can find K240 Monitors within that budget Buy It Now. I bid on mine to get below the $40 mark so don't be afraid to do that either. They will need new elastics for the headband but AKG parts and Full Compass stock those for cheap. Full Compass also stocks replacement cables and earpads if you really want to refurbish them.

If you get one with the threaded 3.5mm jack then you can get the threaded screw on adaptor from Amazon for almost pennies.

I cannot use the adapter that I tried with a newer set of headfones. It didn't work for me. So I would need a straight 1/4 Jack. My old onkyo receiver only takes 1/4 plug. When I use the adapter from 1/8 step up to 1/4, I can still hear my stereo. So the adapters are no good in my stereo.
Did you turn your speaker switch on your Onkyo off? Many component receivers/amps don't automatically disconnect the speaker when you insert a headphone plug.

Using a 1/4 adapter plug should get same results as a regular 1/4 inch plug on a receiver.

Last edited:
Radio Shack sold a long list of headphones under the Realistic brand. I have a set of Custom Pros clearly marked Koss. They sound pretty good but the pads are stiff and somewhat uncomfortable.

Realistic headphones are common and cheap. They must have sold in large numbers.

Those Koss-made Realistic Custom Pros have hard cushions/pads(not right term) after the decades. In addition the band sits hard on top the head.
At least they sound good and the sellers were happy to get $1 for them. Oh, and they are Harvest Gold for an extra groovy listening experience.

I have read that the parts are available from Koss. I contacted them via their web page and did not get a response to my inquiry.
I should look into that again.

I got my Koss Vintage Headphones today for 16 bucks shipped . The model # is K6-xplus. Sound decent for the money spent.

Did you turn your speaker switch on your Onkyo off? Many component receivers/amps don't automatically disconnect the speaker when you insert a headphone plug.

Using a 1/4 adapter plug should get same results as a regular 1/4 inch plug on a receiver.

Thanks.... I needed to switch off the speaker button. Problem resolved. Dohhhhh

If you really need cheap headphones. Then I will suggest to go for quality cheap earbuds becasue earbuds have varieties. But if you increase your budget little up the hyper X cloud revolver would be a very close suggestion for you keeping your budget in mind.

I can't remember if it was Tower Records or Rasputin Music that had some cheap Koss headphones at their demo stands. They sounded fantastic and that led me to buy the Koss Pro4AAT Titanium Pro headphones. Which were a huge let down. I wish I knew the model number of the older cheap ones.

Back
Top Bottom