Vintage AND New

Negotiableterms

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Subscriber
This forum is not just for vintage Infinities. New ones are welcome too!

Why am I so excited about including new ones, despite the sacrilegious aspect of talking about new gear on AK?

I have a 7.1 system of Prelude MTS, and a 5.1 system of CAS-3.1.

For my office, I'm very interested in Cascade 3Vs and a 15 sub.

I've heard many, many people say that Infinity is not what it was, but the facts remain that the Preludes managed an A ranking in Stereophile, and the company's other products consistently receive good reviews. Infinity invented the aluminum enclosure, and was then copied by Krell, and now a bunch of others. CMMD drivers have wonderful clean sound and specs, and the Cascades won an Innovations 2006 Design and Engineering Award from the Consumer Electronics Association.

More importantly to me, the Preludes are one of the very few speakers to pass the "goosebumps" test (along with the Betas). Smooth, dynamic, and very, very real-sounding. Great for music and HT.

Yeah, I'm a fan! All you other new Infinity fans, come on in and post!

Last edited:
The best thing going for the newer Infinity line is the input from Floyd Toole, who has come up with some inspired efforts that help keep this company going. He has been responsible for some of those speakers that have been getting good reviews in Stereophile and other audio publications.

The fronts in my HT are the small ovtr-1's. I think they're great for that application.
1 @ 1", 2 @ 4", and a 8" powered sub all in a 12x12x5 (30#) package. I'd love to get 2 more for the rears but they seem to be few and far between.

grills off below (not mine, stolen pics from ebay)

Attachments

• ff_12.JPG
    ff_12.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 52
David it's like you read my mind! I was hoping someone would chime in and give their opinions on the newer Infinities.

Especially the Prelude MTS that had caught my eye when looking at newer Infinities :thmbsp:

So are you running 5 MTS a center and a sub? Or is a sub not needed?

I have a complete Infinity system made up of the latest Kappa series that was recently discontinued. I have Kappa 600's as the mains, a pair of 200's for the surrounds and the Kappa center. For the sub I added dual Infinity Intermezzo 1.2s subwoofers. This is a fantastic system. It is equally adept at music as it is for movies.

These speakers are not all that well known because they were originally designed to be sold in Europe. They were only sold in the US for a short time before being discontinued. The great thing is that after being discontinued, they were available at tremendous discounts. I was able to put together my system for a fraction of what they originally sold for. Believe me, these speakers are down right spectacular. They are stunningly beautiful, have a furniture grade, real wood finish and they exude quality throughout. Even better, they sound every bit as good as they look.

Basshog, thats one area I need to look at in the future, home theater that is.

Sounds like you've got it going on!

Would you have a photo or two you'd like to share?

I'd like to see everyone's setup for that matter :thmbsp:

One day I will have a killer HT setup, but the Wife insists we need to remodel the basement first, which will eat up a lot of funds...:sigh:

Army said:
So are you running 5 MTS a center and a sub? Or is a sub not needed?

Our main 7.1 HT system is all Prelude and consists of 6 towers, 4 subs and a center. Sadly, while our building project goes on, the whole thing is in storage.

The small 5.1 HT system is 4 CAS-3.1s, 2 IL120S subs and a Prelude center...all in a small room. Not the 7.1, but it works fine for the next year or so while permits and construction proceed at a snails pace.

Nice, very nice, danish made, mirrored and pure eye candy IMO!

I haven't read very many reviews...

Man I need to get out more...

But hey I'm here to keep the peace and keep learning about audio. Which the later is what brought me here in the first place.

Please carry on :thmbsp:

I was hot for the new Infinity Beta 50s, a floorstander.

The specs were great, the price was right, but listening....

I really tried to like them but even after listening in three different setups at three different shops, they still sounded harsh and grating. Maybe with better quality electronics and a better venue they would have been OK but I wasn't ready to risk it.

All in all, I was very disappointed.

Stereophile did a big review of the Primus 360 and an earlier one of the bookshelf 150s.

I took it to be damning with faint praise - it sounded like they had problems with it but were too polite to say so right out loud.

I haven't had a chance to listen but perhaps I should. They are a third cheaper than the Beta 50s, which sounded cheap sooo.....

Hm, weird, because i have the Primus 360 being driven by a S.E.T amp, and i have friends ( who heard it with the lights off ) asking me how many thousands i paid for the speaker! ( im not kidding! ) :D

Wil84 said:
Hm, weird, because i have the Primus 360 being driven by a S.E.T amp, and i have friends ( who heard it with the lights off ) asking me how many thousands i paid for the speaker! ( im not kidding! ) :D

Hi Hi,
Since I have had no exposure to any Infinities, other than the vintage ones, I can not contribute to this thread other than to say this. I much more value the opinion of the aficionado than the professional reviewer. If you say that they are dynamite, I believe you. Ha Ha, in 30 years I have not agreed with any professional reviewers opinions about anything that I have also listened too. They are certainly much more well trained in the eardrum department than me, but if the bloody things bring a smile to the owners face, than that is the best review going.

Do you have a picture of these Wil84, your opinion has peaked my interest.
Vito

Hi Vitopanch, here u go...

dsc003382xq.jpg

One thing about this hobby is, what i might find dynamite, the other guy might find boring, dull and lifeless...oh well, u cant please em' all!

Ha, yup. If we all wanted the exact same thing, we would only need one brand and one model for each needed component. What would we ever discuss. Hey, I have never seen that driver set up before. Is that the tweeter below the midrange. What are those top two drivers please?
Vito

Hi,

Yes, that's the tweeter below the midrange and the one u see on the top is an add on supertweeter.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom