1. Work behind the scenes continues. AK may go offline again for additional database and or Xenforo fixes.
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Audio Gear Component Upgrades

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by audionut373, Jan 29, 2017.

?

Vintage gear sound the same or not after component upgrade?

Poll closed Feb 5, 2017.
  1. I upgraded components in my vintage audio gear and it sounds better

66.7%
  2. I upgraded components in my vintage audio gear and it doesn't sound as good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I upgraded components in my vintage audio gear and it sounds the same

33.3%
  1. audionut373

audionut373 Member

For those who have upgraded caps, transistors and resistors in their vintage audio gear.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Chrisxo55441

Chrisxo55441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

ive had over 10 receivers/amps recapped, some were night and day better, some just seemed to have more punch, some sounded the same but none ever sounded worse.Just got my Marantz model 18 back from a recap, it sounded great before and now it sounds awesome, better bass and detail still has the warmth, been listening to it for 2 weeks straight and Lovin it.

3. timmy.timmy

timmy.timmy Member

Since only both extremities of my phono gear are "vintage", I've only tweaked to convert, upgrade and improved my turntable and speakers.

On the turntable, I replaced the original PCB, but that on it's own don't affect directly the sound. And on my speakers, I replaced the original old worn-out and uneven capacitors.

With my solder friend, we spent 4 hours trying different configurations with the same record to finally have them new caps set totally differently than initially. Different and/but better IMO.