Vintage Audio Manuals

bobbyrae

The Audiophile Farmer
http://www.vintageaudiomanuals.com/

Quick summary: best copies of manuals you can find anywhere, great prices, but poor communication and unexplained delays.

I ran across Mike Thomason's website for audio manuals after I had come across many others, but Mike's had a decidedly different look and feel to it. It was much more personal, showing pics of his cats, his equipment, and scenery of the area he lived in. What's more, and probably most important, he showed examples of the manuals he provides and it trully looked like he was providing a superior product. He lists all the manuals he can sell you, but you can't actually order online; you have send a separate email to initiate that.

I contacted him about the manuals I was interested in and he responded with a quote for cost and delivery time. After a couple more emails (because my needs were changing over time), I made a decision of what I wanted and sent a letter (snail mail) along with payment for it. The time estimate was 2-3 days, but I knew he was having some relocation issues at the moment and didn't really expect such a quick turnaround. It turns out that the time delays would be incredible and severely try my patience!

Over a week passed and I had not been given any indication that he had received the order, so I inquired via email and he confirmed. It sounded then like the order would get shipped in a few days. But then a couple more weeks went by with no word and I inquired again and was told for sure the order would go out within a few days time. I waited a week and a half, got no package, and then inquired again and got no response. Another week went by and I sent another email, but again got no reply. It was around 6 weeks at this point and I began to worry that maybe this guy had gotten really ill or died! Just when I felt it was time to start doing desparate things like calling the police, I got an email that was being sent to all customers: it described how Mike had just moved his home and the first thing he experienced was an outage of internet and telephone which took a week to repair. He also mentioned that he was handicapped. Oh- there is no phone number on his website, and the address he uses is just a commercial mail box. I had desparately sent a handwritten note to that mail box at one point, but it never got acknowledged.

Yet another week went by with my specific inquiries about order status being ignored. Again, I started fearing the worst and wondering if this guy was really a... . Then one morning there was an email from Stamps.com indicating that a package had been shipped to me from Mike. It arrived two days later, and I do have to say that I am very impressed with his work. In addition to the manuals being in very high resolution, color, and bound, Mike also included CD's of the detailed diagrams for service manuals. This means that I don't have to use a magnifying glass to read the printed schematic! These things are color (when possible) and enlarge really well.

What was in the package besides those nice manuals? NOTHING. Not a packing slip, not a receipt, not a generic thank-you letter, not an explanation for the delays, and no apology. NOTHING that you would have expected under the circumstances.

The problems, obviously, were the unexplained delays and poor communication. Mike also tries to refer to himself as "we" or "Mike and team" as if he is running a company with many employees. But even big companies have support people who are willing to communicate with you on a personal level, just to show that they are human and they care about your goodwill. I can't say that about Mike! He either ignores you or gives you a cold, impersonal response. There was no explanation for the delays - oh yes, a week to make the manuals, a week because of an internet failure, but what about the other 5 weeks, Mike? Why do you continue to tell people the orders will be processed in 2-3 days?

I made a second order with him later. Again the quote was 2-3 days, but it actually took around 2 weeks from time I sent the check to package at my door. Same quality in the manuals, still no receipts, letter, or anything else with the delivery. He says the personal checks will delay things until they clear, but on this last order the check actually got to the bank the same day my manuals arrived. Can't complain about that, can I?

I can recommend Vintage Audio Manuals ONLY on the basis of the quality of the work and good prices. Keep in mind that you may be tearing your hair out wondering what Mike is up to! Let's hope he doesn't have to move again any time soon! And don't believe him when he says 2-3 days for delivery!!

Attachments

• manuals.jpg
    manuals.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 36
That has not been my experience with Mike, turnaround time has always been as fast as the mails permit. The quality is unsurpassed. I love the CDs as well as I can toss the schematics at my 36" plotter.

It is like the story of the man who wanted some oats, if you want nice fresh oats it takes time to grow them. I f you don't mind ones that have already been through the horse you can have them right away.

Last edited:
Definitely not my experience with Mike either. Multiple orders with him, over a number of years, most recent in January. 2-3 weeks is about 'normal' turn-around time (I in Canada, which probably adds to it) and I accept that for his quality product.

Hopefully the move is the explanation for your issues, and things now are sorted out...

Sorry to hear you had trouble bobbyrae. I've bought upwards of 15 manuals from Mike and have always had great experiences. Excellent manuals, quick shipping, the whole bit.

As for the "team", I think that's his pets :)

Definitely not my experience with Mike either. Multiple orders with him, over a number of years, most recent in January. 2-3 weeks is about 'normal' turn-around time (I in Canada, which probably adds to it) and I accept that for his quality product.

Hopefully the move is the explanation for your issues, and things now are sorted out...

Don't you find it odd that he quotes 2-3 DAYS, but your turnaround time is 2-3 WEEKS? That was PRECISELY part of the problem and you seem to be confirming it. It's a communication problem.

I'm in Windsor, right across from Detroit. Mail from Anywhere, USA to my home can take 7-10 days longer, and sometimes more than that, than mail sent to Detroit, MI. It's something we get used to, in Canada.

Without checking his website or querying it further, 'turnaround time' to Mike may mean time from receipt of order to ship-out time. Still, your experience was not good and hopefully was a one-off occurrence.

Reinforcing luvvinvinyl's comment - judging by postmarks, in the last month, lamps from dgwojo in Michigan took 13 days to get to me; purchase from California (5-6x or more? distance) took 6 days. Might well be comparable variability in USPS times...

I've had excellent experience with Mike -His product and quick service.:thmbsp: Usually a week or less.. I use paypal which speeds up the process.
BTW so far, all manuals I've purchased have been of better material quality than the originals.:yes:

Mike is my first choice "go-to guy" for manuals..

Last edited:
Any news on Mike?

Apparently his website is gone. I couldn't find it. I had a nice relationship with Mike. I sent him hundreds of pounds of older manuals and he has sent me several beautiful copies. Just wondering whats going on if anybody knows..

tom

Apparently his website is gone. I couldn't find it. I had a nice relationship with Mike. I sent him hundreds of pounds of older manuals and he has sent me several beautiful copies. Just wondering whats going on if anybody knows..

tom

Thats the million dollar question.Knowbody knows. To bad.He made some excellent manuals.

Back
Top Bottom