Vintage audio repair Kansas City area

I know this is an old thread but for the benefit of anyone that might google this topic the way I did...

I strongly suggest going with Audio Mart Service Center on 80th & Metcalf over The Electronic Center on 79th & Metcalf. I dropped a power amp off at both the first week of Feb of 2013, on the same day, to compare the two. Audio Mart's bench fee was cheaper and I was called within a week and given a quote. The amp was finished almost the next day. I was actually so happy with the level service and attention to detail I dropped off 2 more pieces with AMSC, which were quoted and finished in less than 2 weeks. To be fair TEC did warn me it could take a couple weeks for the amp I left with them to be see a bench but it was a month before I heard from them. Audio Mart Service Center was able to service 3 pieces of my equipment before TEC even got me a quote on one. Albeit warned, this is a hard thing to ignore. If that had been the end of my experience I probably would have shrugged off the delay and considered it more or less a draw. Except when I arrived at TEC to pick up my supposedly fixed amplifier I was told they had forgotten to do the work. Its now mid March and I still can not comment on the quality of work done at TEC due to the fact that I still do not have my amp back but I can definitely say I am unimpressed with the level professionalism and customer service on display at The Electronic Center.

As an update:

After 3 trips up to The Electronic Center I finally have my amplifier back. Both channels do work again but I am very unimpressed with the quality of work. I was really hoping they might redeem themselves in this category but I still have a burnt out LED, the caps used are very poor quality and the physically disheveled resistor I pointed out when I took the amp in was not replaced as I asked. I realize the resistor may still be to spec now but the enamel/ceramic is gone and it's starting to rust. It wouldn't have killed them to go ahead and replace it while they had everything apart to avoid the future nuisance, as it seems to be at least nearing the end of its days.

By comparison:

Audio Mart used OEM or equivalent parts and even went so far as to resolder a good chunk of the parts not replaced because of weak joints. I was given the old parts and all of the work done was fully explained too.

First sorry for street confusion. I do not know about the audio mart never been there. I do and will stand behind Stan and Brian at the Electronic Center On 79th st in OP just west of Metcalf. If they can fix it they will. I will not talk about the vinyl renaissance other than I never ever go there. It is not for me. Now with the Electronic Center yes it is a wait. The reason for that is everyone else has stuff and wants Stan to work on it. That is why it takes some time. Most of the guys here in KC I know in the audio circle take stuff there. Like I said Audio Mart may well be great but the fact they get stuff back so fast tells me they do not have near the customers unless they have like 5 techs there. Anyway I have recently found a guy that is the best on tube gear. His name is Cliff Smith. He is the nicest guy and does unreal work on the tube gear. He repairs amps for one of the large music stores here in KC. He works out of his apartment and he just re did my Dynaco ST 70. It is the bomb. He recapped it and put nee tubes in I tell you what unreal. It took him about a month but like Stan he is busy. He has a website as well. I highly reccomend him. ALso Echo Wars is a legend in our parts but I bet he has a huge list to get into him. I would say living in KC my whole life the best ones in my opinion in our area are Electronic Center for anything. Echo Wars for a complete re do or Cliff Smith for tube stuff. That would be the only three I would use.

Last edited:
I also know Stan will not replace stuff to just replace it. If the part works and as you said is with in specs he will leave it. I respect that because some places will do what ever to just have you spend more money that we do not have. Again just my opinion. I do respect yours I just have had nothing but great luck at the Electronic center.

But if CANT has mentioned that TEC did not replace a resistor that he wanted replaced and he feels they used lower quality components to do the repair as well as wanting to return the unit unrepaired and with a bad LED once some repairs were done, I don't see that as the place to have work done. Maybe this was a unit that got missed but CANT has three repairs at another facility without issues.

I'm wondering what CANT considers very poor quality caps.

I know everyone can have issues at any place. I guess for him if it did not workout then he found a place he likes so that is all that matters if he is happy. I just know Stan very well and he does not like to replace things just to replace them and charge folks more.

Surprised to hear about CANT's experience with the Electronic Center...I've always found them very good to deal with, and extremely knowledgeable. I've tried just about everybody in the KC area, and generally agree with Vintage 5.0's assessment....in KC, it's the Electronic Center for repair and overhaul, EchoWars for full-blown restoration work.

I do know that the Electronic Center's backlog has really increased over the past six months or so, due to a big increase in their business. I also know that they recently added a third tech, so they should get back to their regular turnaround before too long.

CANT, it sounds like you are quite knowledgeable about electronic components. In my experience, the components the Electronic Center uses are of equal or better quality than the originals. As I'm sure you know, original stuff is often no longer available. What were the "very poor quallity" caps that they used?

As for the resistor problem you mentioned, again I'm surprised. If you told them to replace it, they should have. But I also know that their approach is "fix only what's broken". While parts are cheap, labor isn't.

All in all, sounds like your experience with the Electronic Center was not typical (at least, I hope not!). That part of your story about going to pick up your amp -which they told you was ready to go - and then being told it wasn't done yet...wow, I would have been as frustrated as you sound.

Did they actually tell you it was ready, or were you just assuming that it would be after waiting for the estimated repair time? Either way, sounds like communication could be improved...which is a problem that many small businesses seem to have.

I've done business with Brian at AudioMart Service Center several times...he seems to be quite competent. I know that he was the in-house tech for AudioMart (a local audio/video store) for many years, and then opened his own place when they went out of business.

I'll have to check him out again...the last time I checked, his bench fee was higher than the Electronic Center and his turnaround time was longer. By the way, you can get a discount on the Electronic Center's rates by going to their website and subscribing to their free newsletter. The site is www.kcstereorepair.com.

Keep posting your comments, KC-area vintage audio lovers. It's great to share our experiences, and it also helps keep the local repair shops on their toes.

If you talk with Echowars, as I'm sure he'll tell you, he has quite the backlog...

Suppose that means he's good or something:scratch2:

Wow...I just looked at Google online reviews for the Electronic Center, and tried to do the same for AudioMart (couldn't find any for it). Electronic Center's reviews are all very positive except for one...which is an expanded version of CANT's comments above (including a strong plug for Audio Mart).

I freely admit that I'm biased towards the Electronic Center, having used them for many years. But I hate seeing any small business denigrated...especially one that has developed such a good reputation over their 25 years in business!

I suspect that it's difficult to make a decent living doing audio repair work, and I know that it's hard to find good vintage repair services. It's unfortunate that one negative review is so much more powerful than 10 good ones...I want to see this shop stay in business for a long time (and Audio Mart as well!), because I know that I'll have a lot harder time enjoying my hobby without them.

CANT, before you left your very harsh review, did you reach out to the owner regarding your dissatisfaction? And how did you come to the conclusion that they used capacitors of very poor quality? I certainly agree that you had a bad experience, but a long wait time is not necessarily a reason to ding them. If it were, EchoWars' reputation would be terrible (instead of awesome).

To me, the real concerns are a) the amp not being done after you were specifically told that it was, b) not replacing a resistor that you told them should be replaced, c) not telling you that one of your lamps was out and asking if you wanted it replaced, and d) use of inferior capacitors.

For the benefit of those who are following this thread, and for those who find it via search, can you please confirm that:

- the shop told you that the amp was ready when it was not,
- you specifically requested that the resistor be replaced (not just checked).

Also, please post info about the inferior caps....what brand/model were used, and in what equipment? How did you conclude that they are inferior? For me, this is the most serious issue you've raised. I would not expect them to use premium caps unless requested, but I would, of course, expect them to use of components of good quality, that meet or exceed the specs of the originals. In my experience with the Electronic Center, this has always been the case. I just can't imagine why they would try to save a few pennies at the risk of their long-standing reputation for good service....I've always assumed that they make their money on labor, not parts.

Thanks!

Last edited:
More about the Electronic Center in KC

Its unfortunate that CANT hasn't provided more information to clarify/verify his concerns. I checked again, and saw that the owner at the Electronic Center posted a very detailed response to CANT''s Google Places review (which reads more like an advertisement for the AudioMart service center).

As I noted earlier in this thread, I've used AudioMart, Vinyl Renaiisance and the Electronic Center. I favor the Electronic Center, but had no problems with AudioMart either. Vinyl Renaissance is a different story...I cannot recommend them.

And, of course, if you are looking for a major restoration/overhaul, EchoWars is excellent. However, you have to be patient....demand for his time far exceeds the supply.

OK, Youve read this thread. I started out trying to clear up any confusion about what shop was at what address.now its even more confusing because Vinyl Ren. has moved down to the same area. Its on the main drag in old O.P. next to the Peanut Bar.
I really dont want to get into a pissin match about whos tech. is best or what parts was put in or took out. All I said was Ive used Brain at Audiomart on 80+Metcalf. I beleive Stan at Electronics Center is a good tech. as well. I just havent used him. So you decide which one you want to use. Thats all I gotta say about that. So let it go.Thx, Eric

electronics center

i took my sx 1980 to electronics center on metcalf.they told me that all my output transistors were blown.cost $800.00 to fix.kiss my ass..then they charged me $50.00 to look at it..had two weeks..i said no..on my way home ran across dando electronics on wornall took in there .fixed it for 90.00$$..had a diode and a transistor out in the power supply.. the manager of E.C. said he would give me $200.00 dollars for my 1980..he tried to rip me off..wanted my sx 1980.dont take anything of value there.scammers..i swear this on a bible.
John F skc

Not sure I really want to trust some dude with 3 posts that swears while touching religious books.
And this other bozo with six posts, really?!?!

For what it's worth, I've had the Electronic Center at 79th and Metcalf work on three Marantz receivers (2238b, 2265b, and 2330b), a Pioneer SX-1050, and an Onkyo A-7090. Compared to Vinyl Renaissance and a resto shop in CA, EC's prices are reasonable. All came back performing better than they went in except the 2330b. It's been a conundrum from day one and still isn't perfect. The 2330b is the reason I tried EC. Two other places couldn't unravel it either. The EC guys take a long time (five weeks or so), but they do have dozens of units in for work. I took that as a positive sign that others find EC to be a good value.

My .02,
RJ

I sent jblansing4311's comments about the Electronic Center to the owner, because it seemed so unlikely (based on my years of good experiences there).

Here is the owner's response:

Glad you told us about the bad review! He is mistaken. We looked up every SX-1980 ever in our shop and all have been repaired - no estimate refusals and no customer with JOHN as first name. I suspect he may be referring to the Electronic Services shop, which is close to Metcalf and 135th and - as you know - gets a lot of negative reviews. Our bench charge for an SX-1980 is $75 (not $50), and we have NEVER seen one with all outputs blown.

Of all the SX-1980's we've repaired over the years, the cost has NEVER been over $310...and the average is quite a bit less than that.

It drives us crazy that Electronic Services opened up with a name so similar to ours...guess they were trying to take advantage of our 25 years in business and our good reputation.

Anyway, thanks again for telling me about this....I would appreciate it if you could post my response.

Regarding Slice....it is my impression that they do speaker repairs only. Are they working on electronics as well now? Thanks.

If I remember right the Audio Mart repair shop used to be Audio Mart down by the Gates BBQ at State Line and 105th? They closed up the sales part and moved the repair part to 80th street in OP.

I have been recommended to Slice to have my JBL 2445 wooger racooned. I need to get on that soon.

If I remember right the Audio Mart repair shop used to be Audio Mart down by the Gates BBQ at State Line and 105th? They closed up the sales part and moved the repair part to 80th street in OP.

I have been recommended to Slice to have my JBL 2445 wooger racooned. I need to get on that soon.

If I remember correctly, Brian - the owner/proprietor/tech at the AudioMart repair shop - was the tech for AudioMart. When they closed down, he borrowed (or maybe bought?) the name and opened his own repair shop. Brian is a very knowledgeable tech. So, we have two good audio repair shops in the KC metro...about a block from one another!

I've never used Slice...I've heard they do good work, but are a bit on the pricey side. Can't confirm whether or not this is the case. To my knowledge, they do speaker repairs only....but perhaps dbayyz can shed more light on this topic. If they do other electronics repair, it is definitely a new development.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom