Vintage camping stoves and lanterns - anyone else collect them?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by Redboy, Oct 13, 2010.

1. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

coleman-multifuel-stove--0.png I took up camping late.
    I have a couple of friends with sveas.
    I don't really collect I have a Coleman multi fuel from the early 80s which i guess by today's standards would make it vintage.
    Looks like the current exponent multi fuel

exponent stove.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Dad had a Svea in the 70s that we took on a trip to Manitou Island in northern Lake Michigan. Dad asked the one place you could get fuel if they had any 'white gas' and the guy assured him they did. Long story short, the stove exploded. Nobody was hurt but the stove was done. :eek:

After that he went to the Gaz one with the blue disposable puncturable butane tanks. I got one of those myself in the early 90s, used it for quite awhile, then they changed the fuel cans. I put it on the shelf. Eventually ebayed it for a buck or something. Couple years later, I forgot I had sold the stove. I had been looking for those cartridges for so long that when I found some on a trip, I bought a half dozen, only to find when I got home that I no longer had the stove. D'OH! I think I still have those darn things if anyone has the stove. :D

Got an MSR now that runs on Coleman fuel. Gets very light use, sad to say. :bye:

3. onepixel

onepixel .

I got one of these awhile ago. Instant hot fire, no hassles and clean.

[​IMG]

4. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

I went on a trip to the allagash waterway oh about 28 years ago. Never did more than car camping before. A friend said , "hey want to go on a canoe trip?".
    Met up with friends of friends . All told 7. 3 canoes and a kayak. One guy had a brand new stove . A little up tight , somebody spilled a drop of something and the guy freaks out! So later on in trip, we're cooking dinner (mostly boiling water for freeze dried stuff) . Anyway our hero is boiling water with his new stove and it had a loose seal so it start spewing flames and he ends up kicking down this rocky drop. One of the funniest moments on the trip (there were many!)
    Joe , if unbeknownst to me you're a member here , apparently there are indeed six degrees of separation:dunno::D

5. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

Neat, Nate! Or is that Nate, Neat? :) Have a couple myself including a little Coleman w/green tank that works like a charm.

Redboy likes this.
  6. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

We had the old Coleman camp stove with two burners and the flip up top and sides. Trouble started when we put it away in the attic with fuel still in the tank. Now that tank is supposed to withstand pressure, in fact you pump it up to deliver the fuel (just like the old Coleman lanterns), but apparently the 140 degree attic was too much for it. Next summer we got all the way to the campsite before we found out the side seam was split on the tank. Lucky the attic didn't blow up from the fumes when it gave way.

7. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

Still have my Svea 123 that I bought in the 70s when I was in my backpacking phase.

I have used it over the years - camping with the kids. Even loaned it to my younger son when he went on a backpacking trip with friends.

An awesome stove to impress your friends - get that sucka lit up and it looks and *sounds* like the tail end of a jet fighter with afterburners on!