Vintage CD players

Amazing isn't it. I guess it's because still the old hi-end players continue to be fantastic transports. In combination with modern D/A converters, you can get the best of two worlds.

My rig continues to be a Yamaha CDX 1020, which now has a Monica II D/A module doing D/A converter duty [DIY Paradise, Kuala Lumpur]. I had to take the trouble to build a power supply for the latter, as well has box up and wire the Monica. But for all that, the sound is simply marvelous.

Even some old DAC's are still very very good. This is my dram team

CD player advice

sorry I have no idea how to start a new thread here.

My Brother In Law's old Yamaha single disk player died.
He is looking for used dependable player for under one hundred dollars.
Something very simple.
Any ideas?

Most appreciated,

mr. panda

sorry I have no idea how to start a new thread here.

My Brother In Law's old Yamaha single disk player died.
He is looking for used dependable player for under one hundred dollars.
Something very simple.
Any ideas?

Most appreciated,

mr. panda

Locate a JVC, Technics or even Panasonic player. Available all over the Bay.

Mr. Panda, I'd recommend looking for something newer myself. I found a fairly recent (c. 2007) NAD CD player at a pawn shop a few months back for about $75 if I remember right. I prefer the sound of it to the sound of the various vintage CD players I have on hand (an adc Atelier CD3, an Adcom GCD-600, a Carver TL-3200 and an Onkyo DX-702). Is the difference night and day? Well, I wouldn't say that, but overall I find everything a bit smoother and more "integrated" sounding, for lack of better terms. I was a supporter of vintage CD players, but I now agree with the school of thought that in this case, newer is definitely better.

Yes, the build quality of many of those classic CD players is superb. Yes, you could combine a vintage CD player with a newer outboard DAC, but if you're going to be using this player a lot, I would have more confidence in a new player than a 25 year old one.

Hello,

Thank you for you advice.
I really never even thought of JVC, Tech. or Pany for a dependable CD player.
Can you please down which model I should l look for?
There most likely will be quite a few models from these brands listed on ebay.

Will take look on ebay to see what I can find.
I most certainly did think of a Nad but did not know which one to look at.
External DAC is most definately not needed.
My Brother In Law has a large collection of CD's and does not really care about SQ much.
Just wants a player that will not break down for little money.
Just rembered that I think I have aold ADS ssytem in my garage but it has only casette and turrntable no CD player.
Probably need to get rid of that system soon.
Just do not wnat it to be junked.

Most appreciated,

Mr. Panda

CD Player advice

Mr. Panda, I'd recommend looking for something newer myself. I found a fairly recent (c. 2007) NAD CD player at a pawn shop a few months back for about $75 if I remember right. I prefer the sound of it to the sound of the various vintage CD players I have on hand (an adc Atelier CD3, an Adcom GCD-600, a Carver TL-3200 and an Onkyo DX-702). Is the difference night and day? Well, I wouldn't say that, but overall I find everything a bit smoother and more "integrated" sounding, for lack of better terms. I was a supporter of vintage CD players, but I now agree with the school of thought that in this case, newer is definitely better.

Yes, the build quality of many of those classic CD players is superb. Yes, you could combine a vintage CD player with a newer outboard DAC, but if you're going to be using this player a lot, I would have more confidence in a new player than a 25 year old one.

Hello,

after re reading your reply, I think you are correct.
An older CD player is really not the direction to go in.
Especially since I am looking for somthing dependable.
All my local repair shops have gone out of business.

Can you please recommend a specific model from that time period and an alternative choice if I can not find anything?

Most appreciated,

Mr. Panda

Mr. Panda,

If you're leaning in a non-vintage direction, you may want to read some threads over in the Modern Day Hi-Fi and Digital subforums. I don't have a lot of experience with all the newer well-regarded CD players, but I'd keep a lookout for recent used CD players from the likes of Cambridge Audio, Marantz, and Onkyo. You may also want to consider better DVD players, many of which have nicer build quality than entry level CD players. As Blu-Ray has gradually replaced DVD for home theater enthusiasts, a number of once expensive DVD players have found themselves being replaced.

I personally took a gamble on the NAD that I bought because there seem to be a higher-than-average number of complaints about laser failure in their newer models. Mine has been fine so far, but this may make it not the best choice for your brother-in-law.

Serendipitous timing in the revival of this thread. I had been playing CDs through my DVD player for the past few years but chose to reconfigure my system this past weekend. I connected one of my Technics SLP-G 100s and one channel was dead. Grabbed the other and it has a "no spin" issue. Hooked up the 25 year old Realistic CD-2300 and it sounded just as good as it did new in 1987, which is to say not nearly as good with the Technics. I think one DAC did duty for both channels...

Anyone have experience/advice on the SLP-G 100s? Bear in mind that all of these units saw several years of mobile DJ use and got schlepped in and out of the truck quite a bit.

CD Player advice

Mr. Panda,

If you're leaning in a non-vintage direction, you may want to read some threads over in the Modern Day Hi-Fi and Digital subforums. I don't have a lot of experience with all the newer well-regarded CD players, but I'd keep a lookout for recent used CD players from the likes of Cambridge Audio, Marantz, and Onkyo. You may also want to consider better DVD players, many of which have nicer build quality than entry level CD players. As Blu-Ray has gradually replaced DVD for home theater enthusiasts, a number of once expensive DVD players have found themselves being replaced.

I personally took a gamble on the NAD that I bought because there seem to be a higher-than-average number of complaints about laser failure in their newer models. Mine has been fine so far, but this may make it not the best choice for your brother-in-law.

I am quite familiar with Cambridge and Marantz.
If I was to buy a new player for him I would go with Cambridge due to Excellent SQ for the price.
But SQ really does not matter much in this case.
All he wants to do is listen to music through his older system.

I am really not going to get him a current model.
See no reason to do so.
Just tried to locate somone who used to work for Nad to see what he thinks.
Just need a lower priced dependable CD player for him so he can get back to listening to music.
Hade no idea about the issues with Nad until you mentioned this to me.
Any other idea's for a non current CD player.
Not to old as you say.

I might be able to give him my Oppo 980 if my Wife lets me get the Oppo 103.
But really think I can get him somthing used off ebay.

Thank you again,

Mr. Panda

Mr. Panda, if you go the route of something newer that is fine. Just be aware that I got my JVC XL-V151 off of the Bay for just about $20 and it has been dead reliable. Not one issue. And I only had to wager $20. They are out there. You just have to know what to look for. The JVC may not be a tank but it sounds good and plays everything. I think that I have had the JVC for about two years now as well.

Maybe Technics doesn't have the reliability factor. I don't know about that. I did get a not so good one off of the Bay and returned it. I then got a Panasonic portable unit for my son and it works OK. I have heard they do sound good. I think that my son's portable unit sounds pretty good.

Panda, check out a Kyocera, there"s usually one on ebay, I"ve had pretty good luck with them and they match my vintage receivers great with the wood sides, the higher the model number the better the quality. A 710 was better than a 310, I have a couple 710"s and one 810, and then a 910 was the flagship......Roost

I just picked up a freebie Luxman D-112 CDP. The tray needs fixing so I'm hoping it is only a belt as it looks in great condition. Anyone know how it sounds?

Mr. Panda, if you go the route of something newer that is fine. Just be aware that I got my JVC XL-V151 off of the Bay for just about $20 and it has been dead reliable. Not one issue. And I only had to wager $20. They are out there. You just have to know what to look for. The JVC may not be a tank but it sounds good and plays everything. I think that I have had the JVC for about two years now as well.

Maybe Technics doesn't have the reliability factor. I don't know about that. I did get a not so good one off of the Bay and returned it. I then got a Panasonic portable unit for my son and it works OK. I have heard they do sound good. I think that my son's portable unit sounds pretty good.

Well said!
That is what I enjoy about this form.
Always somthing I never expected to hear or makes me look at things a different way.
I am sure there are quite reliable players out there.
Just may not have the time to deal with issues which may come up.
Such as broken player Etc.
But I really see nothing new less than Cambridge that I would buy for him Way to much for his daily needs.
Of course somone I aked who has a store said stay away from used.
What else is he going to say?
You sir, got a good one.
Your JVC.

Panda, check out a Kyocera, there"s usually one on ebay, I"ve had pretty good luck with them and they match my vintage receivers great with the wood sides, the higher the model number the better the quality. A 710 was better than a 310, I have a couple 710"s and one 810, and then a 910 was the flagship......Roost

Now that a brand I had forgotten about!
They made some pretty nice looking players long ago.

I think I really am on the wrong form.
Maybe not Vintage just not current CD player thread.
Ha!

Thank you,

mr. Panda

I have an Onkyo DX-702 that I bought new in 1991. I've used it quite a lot, and it is still 100% reliable. Plays every disc I put it in regardless of length, and happily plays CD-Rs. I would imagine that if you can locate an early 90s lower-end Onkyo like this one it should cost you no more than $30. This kind of thing might be just what your brother-in-law is looking for.

I have an Onkyo DX-702 that I bought new in 1991. I've used it quite a lot, and it is still 100% reliable. Plays every disc I put it in regardless of length, and happily plays CD-Rs. I would imagine that if you can locate an early 90s lower-end Onkyo like this one it should cost you no more than $30. This kind of thing might be just what your brother-in-law is looking for.
Thank you,
This is a very solid and specific lead.
Am going to see if I can give him my oppo first.
How about a more recent model Onkyo if I go in that direction?

Less ware and tear so to speak.

By the way, in my search today trying to find out about an older Nad I came in contact with the first person I ever heard Daliquist DQ 10's at his store.

Thank you,
This is a very solid and specific lead.
Am going to see if I can give him my oppo first.
How about a more recent model Onkyo if I go in that direction?

Less ware and tear so to speak.

By the way, in my search today trying to find out about an older Nad I came in contact with the first person I ever heard Daliquist DQ 10's at his store.

Just a quick than you for all you help and advice.
I just made a decision then i get the heads up on a Nad.
I would think a Nad would be just fine but did find out that some do have laser issues.
I looked into the current Onkyo line and found their lower priced CD player in our price range.

just read some very good things about it on another form.
for around two hundred bucks I got nothing to lose.

But if it was for me and I was going with a current model.
It would by Nad or Cambridge.

Most appreciated,

mr. panda

Hello,

Not sure if there are any followers in this thread anymore, thought I'll post here since I like the thread a lot.

Back in 1989 I bought a Sony CDP-337esD This player was build like a tank, it had the famous BU-1E drive with KSS-190A laser unit.
I owned this player until 2001 when the laser died, at least, I thought it had died. KSS-190A already wasn't available anymore, and the
sparse availability on the Bay resulted in sky-high pricing. In the end I threw away this player :(

I'm not sure what went into me, but I literally threw it in the bin.... 18 years later, I read an article on how it is possible that all those KSS-190A laser units died an early death.
It seems that these BU-1E with KSS-190A, one of the best, and maybe THE best drive ever, sometimes need(ed) adjustment, and that those KSS-190A lasers definitely weren't dead at all.
To be honest, those laser units had a life expectancy of about 120.000 hours of playtime, yes, they were THAT good. Even at playing 3 to 4 hours a day they should live for 100 years!!!

A month ago I could lay my hands on an almost new Sony CDP-337esD. The proverbs like "Rarely used, from an old man who never used it, good as new" really is in order here.
Bought it from a fellow who was at respective age, who preferred to listen to Vinyl instead of cd's, he in fact owned no more then a few cd's, and yes, it really is like new.

I changed the drive belts, and serviced the BU-1E, which didn't need service at all btw, but I did it to be sure to have it in a top notch condition.
So, finally I am a very happy man, and I can sleep again :jump:

A few days later I found it's big brother on the internet, not in perfect shape, to be honest, someone tried to modify it and think he fried the mainboard :(
The BU-1E and KSS-190 laser though are in a perfect shape!

Although CDP-337esD and CDP-557esD have same BU-1E drive, and same KSS-190A laser, it's very easy noticable that the latter reads the TOC M U C H faster.

[Mod Edit] Please point me at a source for parts for this machine.

Cheers :beerchug:

Alex Bartels
The Netherlands

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom